C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake question from newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 03:50 PM
neoh77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake question from newbie

I've been reading up on the FAQ's about o-ring brake setup and the like... my current problem is this:

When applying the brakes (first inch or so of pedal travel) I get a nice pop out of the rear wheels particularly when chaging vehicle direction. I'm thinking the pistons are sticking in the bores. One front caliper has been replaced before I owned the car with a total of 55k miles on it currently.

I've looked at stainless steel brakes and vette brake products and they have some nice kits available to do all four wheels. Do I send them out and have them sleeved? Do I just buy a kit for 500 bones and be done with it.... Do I spend 7 or 800 for a kit with them o-ringed already?
The current calipers are a bit rusty and would need some tlc in addition to being sleeved.

I guess I've read TOO much information!

for what it's worth I do not loose brake fluid, none on the wheels and my master cylinder stays full. I'm still un-bubbafying my car if I may use that word. Latest was an upper radiator hose that was too big. That didn't stop them from cranking the hose clamp down folding the hose over on itself and causing a nice leak around the water neck.

Thanks for any sense of direction.. I don't want to do a 500 dollar kit and have them start leaking next summer and do it again.

-Matt
Old 07-12-2004, 04:26 PM
VBP
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Matt,
Give me a call in the morning if you want and I will go over all of our options with you. 800-237-9991. I'll be in at 9:00 a.m.

Tony
VBP
Old 07-12-2004, 04:51 PM
neoh77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cool!

Thanks You should be hearing from me in the morning.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:46 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Brakes popping

When changing directions most likely the popping noise you are hearing on the rear are the disc brake pads moving in the caliper with the change of direction. They cannot go anywhere because they are retained in the caliper. To prove this is the noise jack up the car with both rear wheels suspended and remove the drivers rear wheel. Insert a long screwdriver in the vent holes of the brake disc and rotate the disc back and forth and watch the disc brake pad move in the caliper. Make sure the car is not in gear to move the disc brake rotor.

Get notified of new replies

To brake question from newbie

Quick Reply: brake question from newbie