C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Fuel Lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 03:36 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI Fuel Lines

Here is how I decided to handle the fuel lines. I am using the old line as the return and will run a new feed line next to it. The -6AN bulkhead connectors mounted in brackets on the frame and the head will be connected with braided hose. I will be running hardlines from the head bracket to the EFI feed and return.

Craig
Old 07-12-2004, 03:41 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Very impressive!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:09 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Originally Posted by groovyjay
Very impressive!
Thanks Groovyjay! Coming from you, that means alot

Craig
Old 07-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Running fuel lines with the body off is soooo much easier. I did mine with the body on and it was a major PITA. I like the bracket with the fitting on it. I just put a hard tube adapter on the hard line when it got to the engine bay and then ran the braided up to the fuel rail. Yours looks much nicer than mine.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:51 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

VetteNut72-Nice job on everything, not just the lines. Are you going to use a pre-formed line for your fuel line (and return)? Are those Russell fittings?

Scooter70- Is running a pre-formed line with the body on difficult even with the trailing arms off?
Old 07-12-2004, 11:07 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Scooter70: I had the car running after installing the injection but the return line was too small causing multiple problems. I pulled the body just to run lines and decided to do the frame off after I saw what was under the body!
A friend of mine fabricated the brackets for me from 2" angle iron.

BBShark: Thanks, I'm using the original, pre-formed steel line for the return line and running an aluminum 3/8" line for the feed. Yes, the line ends are from Russell.

Craig
Old 07-13-2004, 04:14 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

NO, I would not use aluminum, it's a bad reputation for doing strange things under vibration, it's likely to rub a hole in it, too soft, and maybe even shatter at a flex point....had it happen on a boat once, wasn't a fuel line, but do with steel.....

OH, what were some of the original operational problems this was to cure, and did it work???

GENE

Last edited by mrvette; 07-13-2004 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:51 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Looks like it's going to be a top notch install from the pics Very nice !
Old 07-13-2004, 07:06 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by BBShark
Scooter70- Is running a pre-formed line with the body on difficult even with the trailing arms off?
I didn't use pre-formed lines. I bent it as I went. I used aluminum, which I have since been told was not the best idea. The car doesn't get driven that much and I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

The trailing arm wasn't a problem as much as going from the side rail up the kick-up for the rear suspension. It's a hard pretty corner and requires some flexability when doing it from underneath.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:12 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Originally Posted by mrvette
NO, I would not use aluminum, it's a bad reputation for doing strange things under vibration, it's likely to rub a hole in it, too soft, and maybe even shatter at a flex point....had it happen on a boat once, wasn't a fuel line, but do with steel.....

OH, what were some of the original operational problems this was to cure, and did it work???

GENE
Gene,

I agree that if it isn't delt with properly, it can be a problem. I believe that by terminating each end into bulkhead fittings mounted in a bracket attached to the frame, as well as using rubber insulated clamps and carefull routing of the line, it will work well for my application. I built single engine aircraft for Cessna in the 70's and aluminum line was used extensively. I agree that you cant let it flex or rub on anything.

The car was running very rich and the computer could not compensate. If the excess fuel cannot be released via the fuel rail regulator, then the fuel rails exceed the normal operating pressure causing more fuel to get through during each injector pulse. I was using a small (original return) line that restricted the ability of the regulator to release the excess pressure.

Craig

Get notified of new replies

To EFI Fuel Lines

Quick Reply: EFI Fuel Lines