C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muncie to Hurst Conversion?

Old 07-12-2004, 02:05 PM
John in Dayton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Muncie to Hurst Conversion?

Hey guys,

here's my question. Having a problem with the original shifter (M20 per the build sheet) where it won't go into gear properly. At Jeg' speed shop I can get a Hurst conversion kit for approx. $130. Any problems with the conversion and or mods needed or is it basically a simple switch out of shifters. Any difference inthe way it looks (I don't knwo as I havenn't seen the Hursth shifter as my buddy is the one who found the Hurst conversion capability when he was at Jegs').

Thanks for any help/insight/warnings!

John in Dayton
Old 07-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What you want is the Hurst Competition Plus 4-Speed shifter, it is a common replacement for the stock unit. The difference is it mounts directly to the trans with no frame attachment and the stick has no reverse lockout lever. If you are concerned about appearance an original replacement for the Hurst stick is available for about $90. The Hurst is an easy bolt in replacement and a superior shifter IMO.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:04 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Hurst Competition/Plus, with installation kit, will be about $250 from Summit or Jegs.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:26 PM
John in Dayton
Advanced

I see that there is a competition plus shifter option for about $250. I went out to jegs.com website and saw that there is a more stock looking shifter (straight shifter as opposed to the curved shifter) for about $130. This one was the Hurst Indy Universal shifter. Based upon the jegs webistie it is identified as the part for a muncie replacement.

Here's a link to this website.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...36&prmenbr=361

Anybody know anything about this poroducet and it seasy bolt on/replacement for the muncie M 20?

Thanks again.

John in Dayton
Old 07-12-2004, 03:52 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John in Dayton
I see that there is a competition plus shifter option for about $250. I went out to jegs.com website and saw that there is a more stock looking shifter (straight shifter as opposed to the curved shifter) for about $130. This one was the Hurst Indy Universal shifter. Based upon the jegs webistie it is identified as the part for a muncie replacement.

Here's a link to this website.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...36&prmenbr=361

Anybody know anything about this poroducet and it seasy bolt on/replacement for the muncie M 20?

Thanks again.

John in Dayton
But only the Competition/Plus is 'vette specific. The others are universal (don't fit nothing right).
Old 07-12-2004, 05:53 PM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Default Keep that Stock Shifter!

John,

If I may be permitted to argue in support of keeping it stock - here's why:

That stock shifter transmits very little vibration up to the cabin as it is bolted to the frame of the car and not to the tranny. It sounds like you need to adjust the linkages. That is easily done once you obtain and use the small tool needed to lock all three shift rods into their neutral position. Zip sells the tool for $4.00 and Corvette Central sells it for $2.00 as a "64-81 Shifter Adjustment Gauge 4 Speed 532088 1.95 Each" The guage comes with a single page of instructions and it makes the job fairly easy. As a shortcut, after being sure that I had the car in neutral, I went underneath (you'll want it on jackstands front and rear for easy access), unhooked the rod out from my reverse shift lever and unbolted the shift levers themselves from the 1-2 and 3-4 on the tranny. Go up in the cabin and remove the plate and shift boots (leather and rubber) if you didn't do this already. Feel your way down the left (driver's side) of your shifter and you will be able to barely wiggle the guage into place under all three shift levers directly under your gear shift. Now just adjust all thee spots on the tranny so that the levers do not pull the respective parts out of their neutral settings. I make it sound more complicated than it is. Trust me, you can do this!

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie to Hurst Conversion?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Muncie to Hurst Conversion?