C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant get rear brake rotor out - Need help !

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cant get rear brake rotor out - Need help !

Today i tried to get the rear brake disc out to adjust the parking brake. Unfortunattely i was not able to get the disc off. The rotor sits so tight that it doesnt move at all !
I tried to hammer the disc, twist and wiggle . . . no success ! I dont want to hit the disc too hard, as it is still in good condition and dont want to damage it. I know some people got this problem here before, so maybe somebody found a way to get it out !

Thanks for your help.

Jochen
Old 07-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

This is not meant to be sarcastic.....but is the parking brake off?
Old 07-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Stephen L
Instructor

We had to pull really hard. Make sure the emergency brake cable is off or loose. I think we ended up placing a piece of wood on the rotor and hitting against the wood with a hammer.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

or you can use this shade-tree-mechanic method:

if the bar clamps are tight but the rotor still won't budge, then tap the back of the rotor with a rubber mallet. With the existing pressure - it should pop right off.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
or you can use this shade-tree-mechanic method:

if the bar clamps are tight but the rotor still won't budge, then tap the back of the rotor with a rubber mallet. With the existing pressure - it should pop right off.
AS you can see by the photo above, there is alot of rust... the rotor sits on a hub boss.. if you spray alittle bit of WD-40 between the rotor and the hub boss, if you have a brass or bronze hammer, it would help... the rotor will come off.. it is only rusted tight.. it needs some shock to break this rust... Dont be shy with the hammer...
Old 07-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Great idea, thanks guys . . .

And yes, the e-brake was not enganged, and i hanged out the cable at the backside of the brakeassembly.

Mike, I was thinking about some kind of "tool" like you created . . . This will be the next thing i will try.

Great Forum, great ideas, great guys !

Thanks again - that will help.

Jochen
Old 07-12-2004, 05:31 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Jochen

And yes, the e-brake was not enganged, and i hanged out the cable at the backside of the brakeassembly.

Mike, I was thinking about some kind of "tool" like you created . . . This will be the next thing i will try.

Jochen
if you have a torch just heat the rotor around the spindle,just warm it a little to open up the inside diameter of the disk to free it from the hub.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I believe a "real" rotor remover has 3 pry points. But that was too much for this DIY'er to try and fabricate.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Vector
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Rear Brake Rotor

Ditto on "Don't be afraid to use a hammer"
When I pulled mine the driver side came off easy and I was expective a fight with some frightening posts I've read on the E Brake. Well it wasn't long before I understood - the passenger side was a real PIA. The rotor finally can - with the E Brake shoes and all. I readjusted the E Brake before putting them back on.
Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2004, 10:47 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Guess I've been lucky. I can't count how many times I have replaced rotors and mine come right off. Probably because they're never on there that long.

Good luck!

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 07-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Jochen
Use penetrating oil on the rust on the hub.
Take a piece of wood and a favorite hammer leave the car out of gear so you can rotate the rotor. Keep rotating the rotor as you beat on it. By rotating the rotor you will find a weak spot in the "rust weld". Get a lttle angry!
Old 07-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Oh man, i WAS very angry . . . and i did that :

well, thanks for all your support. I will try next time when i have the car up on my "little lift" from C5Frederik

After i realized that i will not get the rotor out, i was so frustrated that i just installed a new set of Ceramix brake pads (from NAPA) in the rear - just to make me feel better, and the old ones where really worn. I still had a new set lying around somewhere in the celler (you should always do )

I have a little DIY section on my homepage www.CorvetteC5.de. You can see the installation process of the pads in the rear ! My site is in english and in german, so you can choose your path. Unfortunattely the DIY (in the Technical Section) is at this time only available in german. English will follow soon . . .

Dont forgett to sign my guestbook. You can find it in my Gallery !

Thanks again for all your help.

Take care,

Jochen
Old 07-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Jochen
Drifting

BTW, here is the link were i show how to exchange the rear brake pads. Yes, its in german, but the pictures might explain all !

http://www.corvettec5.de/D/Technical/RBrakePads.html

Jochen
Old 10-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Jochen
Drifting

OK folks,

its been a while that i asked you how to do it, and i tried all your tipps. The puller from Mike and heated the center of the disc . . . Nada !

Finally i went to the garage because i heard a grinding noise from the rotor assembly.

They did it this way: Where the e - brake cable is hanged to the lever that actuates the brake shoes, you have to take out the rubber seal. Then you can turn the adjuster wheel and turn it so the shoes diameter decrease. the point was not rust, it was the shoes hanging inside the drum . . .

the noise was the spring that holds the shoes inside the e - brake assembly. The spring was broken and touched the rotor making noise when mooving . . .

Thanks again for all your support !

Jochen
Old 10-11-2004, 03:26 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

well, thanks for all your support. I will try next time when i have the car up on my "little lift" from C5Frederik
LITTLE LIFT
Old 10-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Well, acctually i use the little lift to get the car high enough to get the floor jack under the rear crossmember . . .
You dont like the little lift ?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Well, acctually i use the little lift to get the car high enough to get the floor jack under the rear crossmember . . .
You dont like the little lift ?
If it wasn't for quite a few little lifts there would be several cars that would of had short roadcourse days.

Get notified of new replies

To Cant get rear brake rotor out - Need help !

Old 10-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Old 10-12-2004, 01:44 PM
white top
Racer

Jochen from your post above you seem to imply that the E brake can be adjusted by removing the rubber boot/seal & turning the star wheel without removing the rotor. Is this right or do I misunderstand ?

Jerry
Old 10-12-2004, 02:11 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Well, i did not see it when they do it, but as far as my dealer said, you can turn the adjuster wheel whithout removing the rotor. BUT to adjust the shoes, you have to meassure the outer diameter of the shoes, so you have to get the rotor off to adjust it the right way . . .

Jochen

Quick Reply: Cant get rear brake rotor out - Need help !