C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Speed Gear Shifting Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 02:04 AM
ferndog4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4 Speed Gear Shifting Question

I recently swapped my 80 vett TH350 to a SuperT-10 and am having a difficult time shifting gears from N to 1st from a dead stop. It feels like I have to rev the engine to over 2.5K RPM to get the gear to change without stalling. I worry I will kill my clutch in any good amount of stop and go traffic. Should I be worried? Is that considered high RPM? Anything less and it stalls. TIA!
Old 07-12-2004, 02:10 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it grind when you shift or do you just have to push really hard? The 1-2 shift rod could just be out of adjustment.

What is your rear gear ratio? I had a 2.56 in my Camaro when I converted it from a TH-350 to a Super T-10, and it was geared like an Indy car. My tranny has a 1.96 first gear ratio, and I ended up putting a ford 9-inch with a 3.70 in there. Totally solved the problem of replacing clutches every 3 months.

How much free play is there in the clutch pedal? You should have about 3/4-1 inch.

Last edited by Steve Straus; 07-12-2004 at 02:19 AM. Reason: I re-read the post and thought of something else
Old 07-12-2004, 02:12 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Are you saying you can't get it to go from N to 1st w/o revving or that you need to keep the RPM's high to get the car moving from a stop while in 1st gear? Your post seems to indicate both.

If your having a hard time getting the car out of neutral and into first, you may have an issue where the clutch is not completely disengaging? Of course revving it up with this condition to get it to go into gear doesn't make alot of sense either.

Perhaps you need to clarify what you are saying/asking so we can give you a more accurate answer.

Good Luck!

Old 07-12-2004, 02:24 AM
ferndog4
Instructor

Steve, no grinding gears that I hear or feel. Feels like a nice smooth gear transition but have to rev high to make that happen. And yes the tranny was used. It was out of an 81 vett w 77,000 mi. on it. Also, I dont think it feels excesivley hard to depress the clutch and I have the stock 3.08 rear. Thanks! Your help is appreciated.

Last edited by ferndog4; 07-12-2004 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:37 AM
ferndog4
Instructor

Aceco, I cannot get the car moving into the 1st gear transition until RPMs get to about 2.5K. If I try and release clutch sooner it stutters into a stall. I am uncertain if thats normal, clutch needs adjustment or if I need to learn to drive? Thanks!

Last edited by ferndog4; 07-12-2004 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:22 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Originally Posted by ferndog4
Aceco, I cannot get the car moving into the 1st gear transition until RPMs get to about 2.5K. If I try and release clutch sooner it stutters into a stall. I am uncertain if thats normal, clutch needs adjustment or if I need to learn to drive? Thanks!
I'm still a bit confused on what you are indicating. You put the car in 1st gear w/the clutch depressed. Then you have to rev it to 2500 RPM to get it to go w/o stalling. Is that what you are saying???

Assuming the above is what the issue is, then I know this may sound like a dumb question but you are "slipping" the clutch out and not just releasing it, right? You have to rev the engine a LITTLE bit, slowly let up on the clutch until it starts to engage, hold it there for a second while the car starts to move and then slowly release it the rest of the way, all the time "adjusting" the throttle, applying a bit more gas while the clutch is engaging.

Now assuming you are doing this and the engine still dies, then perhaps you have another issue with the carb, etc that is causing the engine to die at low RPM's under load.

Old 07-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ferndog4
Steve, no grinding gears that I hear or feel. Feels like a nice smooth gear transition but have to rev high to make that happen. And yes the tranny was used. It was out of an 81 vett w 77,000 mi. on it. Also, I dont think it feels excesivley hard to depress the clutch and I have the stock 3.08 rear. Thanks! Your help is appreciated.
I'm not asking how much pressure it takes to depress the clutch, I'm asking how much free play you have in the pedal travel before the clutch engages. Pull the pedal up all the way until it stops. Measure how far you can move it down with no resistance until you start feeling even the slightest resistence, then you'll know how much free play you have.

I think your clutch is mis-adjusted.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Ken74Conv
Racer

Ferndog,
Just as an outside shot. Are you sure you are putting it in 1st gear and not 3rd gear. This sounds like what might happen if you tried to start out in 3rd gear. Maybe shift linkage is screwed up.

Get notified of new replies

To 4 Speed Gear Shifting Question

Quick Reply: 4 Speed Gear Shifting Question