C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why my odometer didn't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 05:47 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Why my odometer didn't work

Just a little stripped!!!!

I spent the afternoon removing the entire dash (main reason was to fix odometer). My speedometer needle would jump around at speeds above 80. I removed the speedo cable core and was surprised to see that it had NO lube on it. In fact, I was surprised it worked at all! I cleaned and relubed it with cable grease.

Next, I'll get a replacement gear, clean up the gauges, check the vacuum lines, etc. while the dash is out.
I might get bold(or stupid) and take the 4 nuts off of the power brake booster and remove it, paint it, remove and repair my vacuum reservoir, and so on, and on and on.........

MANY, MANY THANKS TO "DAILY DRIVER" for his article on corvettefaq.com on the odometer R & R!!!
That article and pics made the job EASY!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 07:10 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Looks like the one that I had on my '69 Vette.. Seems to be a typical problem..
Old 07-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marc... Be very careful with the lettering, It wipes off at the slightest touch. I sprayed mine with testors dull cote so it would be more durable while working on it. Looks perfect. Another thing is don't tap or bang on the speedo or tach because it will loose some magnetism and read slow. Don't ask how I found out. I was wrned AFTER I tapped a pin out of the speedo. ....Your arms will get "under dash rash " working on the instruments.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:29 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

That's exactly what my gear looked like. At the time I didn't know the gear was available so I repaired mine. Steady hands are required... My method was to reshape the plastic with a fine tip soldering iron. I got the gear back into shape (mostly) and to my surprise it has worked great for several hundred miles now.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:34 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Larry B.
Marc... Be very careful with the lettering, It wipes off at the slightest touch. I sprayed mine with testors dull cote so it would be more durable while working on it. Looks perfect. Another thing is don't tap or bang on the speedo or tach because it will loose some magnetism and read slow. Don't ask how I found out. I was wrned AFTER I tapped a pin out of the speedo. ....Your arms will get "under dash rash " working on the instruments.
Larry,
Thanks for the good advice!!
I'll try the Testors trick tomorrow.
I had to knock out the old gear retainer, and I hope I didn't screw up the accuracy.
I measured my indicated MPH against one of those side of the road traffic radar at 30, 50, and 60. It was within 1-2 MPH before, so i'll hope for the best
Old 07-11-2004, 09:35 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zwede
That's exactly what my gear looked like. At the time I didn't know the gear was available so I repaired mine. Steady hands are required... My method was to reshape the plastic with a fine tip soldering iron. I got the gear back into shape (mostly) and to my surprise it has worked great for several hundred miles now.
WOW...I give you credit!! That is a SMALL gear to work on by hand.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:49 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by shoptek
WOW...I give you credit!! That is a SMALL gear to work on by hand.
As I said, I'm surprised the thing's still going.

Get notified of new replies

To Why my odometer didn't work

Quick Reply: Why my odometer didn't work