C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird fuel guage quirk...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 06:03 PM
jefsvet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2k has had this lovely problem for quite some time now. The dealer has replaced the sending the units 4 times, and then about 4 months ago they used the "recalibration" technique. This seemed to correct the problem until about 2 weeks ago when I filled it up and added a can of BG44k. A couple of hours later, the guage goes to empty and the check guages light comes on.

So today I go back to the dealer. The inform me that since my car is out of warranty any repairs will need to be paid by me. Fine, just load the code again and let me gone on my way. Wrong... 2 hours later I ask what it taking so long. The service advisor states that they are troubleshooting the problem. I inform her that there is no need to troubleshoot, just reload the code. After speaking with the tech he agrees and reloads the PCM and would'nt you know it my fuel guage is reading properly again.

$93.00 later everything is okay again, but then the tech informs me that unless a new code is released for my car they will not be able to reload again in the future? Apparently the TechII device he used to reload will only reload if a new code is released. If he attempts without a new code it will not load. Anyone heard or agree with this?

If this is truely a gas problem anyone know of where to get good gas in Colorado? Maybe I should try the Techron cleaner instead of the 44K? Oh well, just thought I would add my story to this long thread.

Jeff
Old 01-29-2005, 05:53 PM
jmushockjr
Racer

Originally Posted by BLU PIL
My 02 sending units have been replaced twice, once under warranty and again just recently paid for by Shell Oil Co. Both sending units replaced cost $2200. I was told that the 2004 cars have different sending units that are not affected by the sulfur in the gas. I just purchased a 4 year warranty from Fichtner Chevrolet cause this is going to break again some day. However I did notice that the part numbers for the sending units were different (higher numbers) for the last fix so hopefully Chevrolet has "fixed" the sending units from going bad again. Fingers crossed!
My '04 has the same fuel gage problem, build date was August '03, maybe that is why?
Old 01-30-2005, 08:56 AM
boomer 33
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yu don't wait have to wait to put it in.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by boomer 33
Yu don't wait have to wait to put it in.
Doooo Wwwhhhaaaaaatttt????
Old 01-31-2005, 07:05 AM
lakeman
Intermediate

I have had no problelms with gas gauge (yet) and I read the post on additives and here is my recomendation. I use this in my DFI outboard, truck and my wife's 98 Vette. Using it in the outboard, was a chance but it worked with no problems yet, the DFI 2S motors are sensitive. The marine stores have a hard time keeping it on the shelf. It is called PRI-G one ounce treats 16 Gal.
http://www.priproducts.com/prigproduct.htm
Old 01-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roscoe118
One of the Vette's known "features" Something about the contacts on the fuel sensors not liking high sulphur content in the gasoline.

Just dump in a bottle of Techron every 10-15K miles and you should be fine. If you live where there is a Chevron station, use their gas, as it has Techron in it. I didn't know that Amoco did, thought only Chevron did. That's as it gives more availability I have not seen the problem since using Techron and Chevron gas.

Sorry to tell you, only Chevron and Texaco gasolines (ChevronTexaco, Inc.) use Techron. ChevronTexaco does not sell their additive package to any other company. In addition to Techron, Chevron gasolines are refined to be low sulfur (more costly but better for the environment & Corvette fuel tanks!) Chevron gasoline is classified as a "TOP TIER" gasloine, approved by GM, BMW, Hond, and Toyota.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:33 AM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BobbyO
Amoco in the midwest and Florida regions....
Old 01-31-2005, 08:24 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruncher
Sorry to tell you, only Chevron and Texaco gasolines (ChevronTexaco, Inc.) use Techron. ChevronTexaco does not sell their additive package to any other company. In addition to Techron, Chevron gasolines are refined to be low sulfur (more costly but better for the environment & Corvette fuel tanks!) Chevron gasoline is classified as a "TOP TIER" gasloine, approved by GM, BMW, Hond, and Toyota.
Chevron was supplying Amoco with Techron but that may have changed. My cousin was a VP at Amoco but has retired and his information may be out of date.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:44 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, add me to the list of frustrated owners. I had the gas gauge problem fixed under warranty on 1/22/04. This past Saturday after half a tank, the gauge went to "0" again and I got the warning lights and message. I added a little over half a tank of fuel and the gauge went back to full, but I don't think the problem is fixed.

So now my Z06 is out of warranty by 1 week, and I get the problem again. I'm going to call GM, but I'm not sure its going to do any good.

Quick question, are you adding the Techron to a full tank of gas?

The tone of this thread feels like we're all in a support group.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:40 PM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
.... The tone of this thread feels like we're all in a support group.
Yes, hi everyone.... My name is DADS01DREAM and I have a chronic fuel gauge "issue".
Old 01-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Richin Chicago
Chevron was supplying Amoco with Techron but that may have changed. My cousin was a VP at Amoco but has retired and his information may be out of date.
As a long time Chevron shareholder, I can guarantee that Chevron has never sold their Techron additive package to any other company in the world, period. By the way, Amoco was one of the last major oil companies to add a detergent additive package to its touted "best gasoline". Today, only Chevron and Texaco gaolines have the Techron additive package. Mobil and Exxon has their own additive package which is also very good. There are only a few companies that make a gasoline detergent additive package, which, by law, all gasolines are required to have. The companies can make a "Cadillac" formula or they could make a "Kia" formula. Ever wonder why RaceTrac gasoline is cheaper than Cevron or Mobil? Both make approximately the same profit margin per gallon of gasoline.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:51 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruncher
As a long time Chevron shareholder, I can guarantee that Chevron has never sold their Techron additive package to any other company in the world, period. By the way, Amoco was one of the last major oil companies to add a detergent additive package to its touted "best gasoline". Today, only Chevron and Texaco gaolines have the Techron additive package. Mobil and Exxon has their own additive package which is also very good. There are only a few companies that make a gasoline detergent additive package, which, by law, all gasolines are required to have. The companies can make a "Cadillac" formula or they could make a "Kia" formula. Ever wonder why RaceTrac gasoline is cheaper than Cevron or Mobil? Both make approximately the same profit margin per gallon of gasoline.

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. My cousin was vice president of retail delivery for Amoco. He told me Amoco went through a rather lengthy make/buy decision and then contracted with Chevron for Techron. This old news as he left when BP came into the picture.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:12 AM
purrvert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The fuel gauge is a known problem caused by sulpher levels in gas and sometime can be cured by quality fuel cleaners. Your other problems may be caused by corroding or loose grounds, check out Bill's thread [url]http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=896875 , or [/http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=896875url] , should answer your questions.

Last edited by purrvert; 02-01-2005 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:34 PM
DannyMc
Intermediate

Add another fuel gauge victim to the list! Mine started acting up a couple weeks ago. Have gone back to the tried and true trip meter method for triggering stops at the gas station. Reminds me of my old 280Z's and 300Z.

Before going on a road trip I reset my gauges to recalculate range and it was cool to see that I could still go 560 miles on 2/3 tank of gas. Realistically, I was still pleasently surprised to get 430 miles for a tank. Much better than my '91.

Glad to see all the suggestions. I'm going to try and standardize on one fuel vendor and watch for consistancies.

Last edited by DannyMc; 02-16-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:42 PM
martinsw
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have NOT had a fuel gage problem you probably DON'T have a C5 . IMHO switch different brands, use a fuel cleaner addative bottle every few tank fulls and it won't be AS BAD.
I always use my DIC trip reset - anytime it reads >300 miles I go to the gas station no matter what the stupid gage says! Mine has been very slow, stuck on 1/2 (both when full and near empty), and who else knows?

Wonder if the C6 still has the problem? Time will tell.....
Old 02-16-2005, 11:52 PM
DannyMc
Intermediate

I was just looking over the codes that I wrote down today. I did have the following:

P1431 - Full Level Sensor 2 Circuit Performance

Hmmm... using good gas might be wishful thinking.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:08 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Chevron vs gauge

I ran Shell and had the gauge problem . Replaced both sensors and switched to Chevron,, Gauge went out again . Sulphur,, and reprogram got the gauges to work again. Switched to BP Premium which is Amaco and gauges work. I think the Amaco has a different makeup or maybe I am just dumb lucky.

99 Nassau Blue

Get notified of new replies

To Weird fuel guage quirk...

Old 02-17-2005, 05:28 PM
MacMan
Instructor

I've seen these posts for a while, and always thought that I was just lucky. Well no more! This weekend I took a long drive with my girl. I was getting good gas mileage all day, so I kept watching the fuel. All the sudden I get the ding, and it goes to empty (was previously a bit under half a tank). Stop at the gas station and it only fits 10 gallons. Get back in the car and the gauge goes up to full. I have never used anything but Chevron, btw.

I dunno. Not to get off topic, but this stuff has me nervous about the Vette. It's only got 25,000 miles on it and so far I've had:
-Oil consumption problem (Rings have been replaced)
-Seat rocking (fixed)
-Passenger door wouldn't lock (new control module)
-Flakey seat movement (sometimes it goes back when I pull out the key, sometimes it doesn't, not fixed yet)
-Clutch sticks to the floor after hard acceleration (not fixed yet)
-Flakey gas gauge (sure to get worse, not fixed yet)
Old 02-20-2005, 01:07 PM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MacMan
I dunno. Not to get off topic, but this stuff has me nervous about the Vette. It's only got 25,000 miles on it and so far I've had:
-Oil consumption problem (Rings have been replaced)
-Seat rocking (fixed)
-Passenger door wouldn't lock (new control module)
-Flakey seat movement (sometimes it goes back when I pull out the key, sometimes it doesn't, not fixed yet)
-Clutch sticks to the floor after hard acceleration (not fixed yet)
-Flakey gas gauge (sure to get worse, not fixed yet)
I've had virtually all the same issues as yourself (except for oil & clutch), plus I also have a screwy turn signal. In the summer sometimes it refuses to work, I hit the flashers and suddenly the turn signals start to work again. Seems to only happen when it's hot outside, but c'mon a car this costly SHOULD NOT have these kinds of issues.

Oh, and I've only got a little of 17,000 miles on my '01!!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 05:47 PM
698998vette
Intermediate

sounds like fuel level sensor/fuel sender not sure if you can just replace the level sensor

Quick Reply: Weird fuel guage quirk...