C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOw much can you dent an exhaust Header tube ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOw much can you dent an exhaust Header tube ??

Im upgrading to 2 1/8" Hooker Super Comp Headers with metallic coating. On the passenger side, one of the Header tubes will need denting to clear the tie rod end by approx. 1/2" for there to be a little airgap between the two. Will this be a problem denting it a half inch ??? What is the preferred method for denting ???

Thanks, Dave
1970 BB
Old 07-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I had a similar problem with my old headers. I grabbed a propane torch and a ball pien hammer. heated up the part that needed modifying and tapped it with a hammer till it fight. There shouldnt be much problem.

I put on new Dynomax coated headers and It was a little tight squeezing it past the steering box but I got it in.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My #3 exhaust tube is dented to hell first to clear the stock steering box, and now the steeroids. They can take quite a beating.

http://members.aol.com/yellow69shark...sPostCoat2.JPG

Last edited by Steve Straus; 07-11-2004 at 06:08 PM. Reason: pic too big. Linked to it instead.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:48 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Are your headers already coated? I believe the coating has limits. Mine had to be dented for the stearing box but no where near 1/2". The problem is, if the coating is damaged on the inside, you won't see it. You might want to check with your supplier.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:09 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

I had mine dented and test fitted prior to coating. The drivers side header had to be cut into 6 pieces, re-bent and re-welded before it would work with the new heads. The passenger side had to be cut into 3 pieces. The welds are done so well that you can't even really see where they are except for one of them. The huge weld beads were put there by hooker, not my header guy.

My exhaust runners are 5/8 higher than stock.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:22 PM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

I know a guy in Ohio that drag races on a VERY small budget
His car used to bottom out all the time on the headers!!
all 8 tubes were flat on the bottom so the once round tubes were "D" shaped. he ran an entire season on those headers
That winter he rebuilt the front-end of his car and replaced the headers... no other Mods were made...
He was Very dissapointed the next spring, His car was no faster!!!! he was sure his smashed headers was slowing him down..... He claimed he couldn't tell the difference, and has timeslips to prove it.
I've had to take a Hammer to headers..... Minor adjustments is what modifying a car is all about in my book!!

Get notified of new replies

To HOw much can you dent an exhaust Header tube ??

Quick Reply: HOw much can you dent an exhaust Header tube ??