C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Half-shaft removal questions for U-Joint replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Nick-75Roadster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Half-shaft removal questions for U-Joint replacement...

OK... I'm trying to get the driver's side halfshaft out for rebuild/U-joint replacement. I have all 4 outboard flange bolts out, I have all 4 u-bolt nuts out, and I have 1 of the u-bolts out. I can't seem to pry out the second u-bolt. I'm spraying it PB blaster repeatedly and I'm tring to pry it off with a pry bar using a 2x4 wedged against the differential for leverage. I have several questions:
1. Should I just keep soaking the u-bolt until I can pry it out?
2. Should I try to cut/grind off the "u" section then punch out the threaded part once the halshaft is out?
3. Once the u-bolt is off, will the halfshaft just come off of the side yoke with the u-joint, or do I have to do anything else?
and finally,
4. I seem to be able to slide the differential side yoke in and out very easily. Is this normal?

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2004, 07:27 PM
brystheguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick,

I just did this on my 75 and ran in to a similar problem. Mine were rusted in there pretty good. Read the thread that I started. Yes, the halfshaft will fall out once the u-bolts are out. If you have any more questions about it, fire away.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=858748

Quick Reply: Help! Half-shaft removal questions for U-Joint replacement...