C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about A/C hoses--

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 03:18 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Questions about A/C hoses--

I've been trying to put the A/C system back together on my '69 big block, and I've got most of the parts, but I'm having a hell of a time finding the correct big block compressor hoses. According to the AIM, the big block hoses seem to be identical to the small block, except that the hose that goes to the suction valve (the shorter line) is far shorter on the big block than on the small block because it's routed differently.

So, I finally gave up, said screw it, and bought a set of small block hoses off ebay. Here are the questions: how long is the big block hose, exactly, and can I take it to a shop and have the hose cut to that length and the fitting put back on to the cut hose to make myself a set of big block hoses? Is that something they can do?

If I have to I'll just put the small block hoses on and try to figure out the routing with the longer hose, but I'd rather go with the OEM configuration.

JB
Old 07-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eckler's shows a BB hose assembly ans a SB assembly. The big hose for BB's needs to be longer and the hose going forward needs to be shorter. Ecklers web site has pictures of both so you can actually see the difference. Also the hose assembly shown at the last Detail is made backwards... take a close look. Also there are some GM replacements out there that are a bad design and prone to break at the muffler tube. Most A/C shops can replace hoses but the trick is to find one that uses the correct crimp, not clamps as most shops will want to do.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:08 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Thanks, Larry, good info. I have to admit, I didn't look at Ecklers--they're always kinda pricey, and I figured if the hoses were reproed, then all the vendors would have them. The pics on Eckler's site are kind of confusing, though, as the small block & big block hoses look pretty much identical in the pics. I'll probably give 'em a call in the morning and see if they can give me the skinny on the differences in the hoses they carry.

JB

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about A/C hoses--

Quick Reply: Questions about A/C hoses--