C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low speed engine miss

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 02:51 PM
gh78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low speed engine miss

Help! What should I look for as to the cause of a low speed engine miss Its only at idle it smooths out as soon as I hit the gas a little.
Thanks
Old 07-11-2004, 04:04 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gh78
Help! What should I look for as to the cause of a low speed engine miss Its only at idle it smooths out as soon as I hit the gas a little.
Thanks
You might get some of those electrically isolated "tongs" used for pulling spark plug wires.

Loosen the spark plug wires in the distributor cap.

Start the car, and disconnect ONE spark plug wire at a time.

If that wire makes the car idle WORSE, then that particular plug/wire is NOT the source of your problem. Then RECONNECT that wire.

Disconnect each spark plug wire in turn, noting which ones HAVE NO EFFECT on engine idle. (Reconnect the wires as you test each one)

Those wires, that when pulled did not cause the idle to get worse, are the problem areas.

Pull those plug(s) and examine them for condition. It may be all you need new spark plugs or new wires.

Does the car smoke on start-up?
Old 07-11-2004, 04:05 PM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put your han over the top of the carb does it smooth out any, You might just need to richen up the carb a little
Old 07-11-2004, 04:12 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Pop the hood at night in the dark. Look for sparks jumping from the wires to metal surfaces. Also use a spray bottle with water and spray a fine mist onto the wires (this makes them more likely to arc). If you have headers especially look at the plug boots where they go past the header tubes.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:14 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with all of the above... also check the resistance in the plug wire/s on the bad cyl./s

Get notified of new replies

To low speed engine miss

Quick Reply: low speed engine miss