C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any way to tell if the valve guides are worn with the heads off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 01:14 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there any way to tell if the valve guides are worn with the heads off?

Im planning on pulling the heads off in the next week to help replace the cam and lifters as well as get a thinner head gasket in there to raise compression, and i was planning on doing a port and polish job while were at it, what im wondering is if their is any way to tell if the valve guides are worn or not while you have the heads off? Also any tips or tricks to taking the heads off? I dont have the front end on so ill have nothing in my way. Any help will be appreciated
Old 07-11-2004, 01:21 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the valve will have some side to side movement....not much but you will be able to feel it when you rock the valve.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:52 PM
gkvetteuno
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by killervette666
Im planning on pulling the heads off in the next week to help replace the cam and lifters as well as get a thinner head gasket in there to raise compression, and i was planning on doing a port and polish job while were at it, what im wondering is if their is any way to tell if the valve guides are worn or not while you have the heads off? Also any tips or tricks to taking the heads off? I dont have the front end on so ill have nothing in my way. Any help will be appreciated
Any competent machine shop should be able to tell you the condition of the valve guides real quick. If they are bad, no better time to take care of the problem than when the heads are going to be off.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:58 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gkvetteuno
Any competent machine shop should be able to tell you the condition of the valve guides real quick. If they are bad, no better time to take care of the problem than when the heads are going to be off.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:06 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the advice, ill try to see if their is any good machine shops around here

Get notified of new replies

To Is there any way to tell if the valve guides are worn with the heads off?

Quick Reply: Is there any way to tell if the valve guides are worn with the heads off?