C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Removing 96 Steering wheel....Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 08:00 AM
Rudy525
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing 96 Steering wheel....Help!

I need to change my Turn Signal Swicth, which means I have to remove the steering wheel. I have never done this with a car that has air bags. I dont want to open her up until I get some info from you guys. According to the manual you need a steering wheel puller and side screws, can this be substitute for somethings else. Or do I have to buy these tools? Once I get past the steering wheel the rest should easier.

Thanks for the help.

Robert
Old 07-11-2004, 11:42 AM
tempest
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been successful with a generic wheel puller from my local parts shop, borrowed for "free." there are two torx bolts screwed in from the back (sorry, don't remember the size) holding the airbag in place which you will need to remove first.

but before you do that - disable the airbags. i have gotten away with removing the airbag fuse, but the second time i did it per the manual, which means remove battery power, remove the fuse, AND disconnect the yellow airbag connector at the base of the column. (you will need to remove the knee bolster and crawl under there to see it.)

when you remove the airbag remember you are dealing with a live explosive. hold it oriented as it would be if you were sitting in the car. when you place it somewhere, do so with the logo facing up. make absolutely sure you are not statically charged.

below the wheel is the airbag coil assembly. that's pretty much the only other difference that i know of between a non-airbag and an airbag-equipped column. the coil assembly should pop out, but will still be attached to the column via its harness.

i don't know which manual you are working out of, but the shop manual has a lot more detail you probably want to go through. there's some other stuff you need to go through before you get to the turn signal.

Quick Reply: Removing 96 Steering wheel....Help!