C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolts or Studs

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 07:28 AM
matchframe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bolts or Studs

I am in the process of getting everything together for building my 454. I plan to get a set of Edelbrock Performer RPM 454-Oval port aluminum heads. The fasteners I plan to use are from ARP.

Should I get Bolts or Studs?

Same question for the main caps.

www.bigdogvettes.com
Old 07-11-2004, 07:42 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you can swing it get the studs.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:20 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you go w/ head studs, you will find that bolts allow easier & faster head removal.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:50 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by matchframe
I am in the process of getting everything together for building my 454. I plan to get a set of Edelbrock Performer RPM 454-Oval port aluminum heads. The fasteners I plan to use are from ARP.

Should I get Bolts or Studs?

Same question for the main caps.

www.bigdogvettes.com
i would stick with head bolts because studs can leak water if you are not used to installing them. only very hi compression engines need studs. i have build race engine with 14:1 Cr using head bolts with no problems. it is no fun to find out when you fire the engine to see water bubbles ozzing out around the studs. head gasket problem usally come from poor block and head prep. if you 454 is a 4 bolt the stock main cap bolts are fine. i have build 800 HP blowen BBC using the stock main cap bolts

Last edited by clem zahrobsky; 07-11-2004 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:21 PM
matchframe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clem zahrobsky
i would stick with head bolts because studs can leak water if you are not used to installing them. only very hi compression engines need studs. i have build race engine with 14:1 Cr using head bolts with no problems. it is no fun to find out when you fire the engine to see water bubbles ozzing out around the studs. head gasket problem usally come from poor block and head prep. if you 454 is a 4 bolt the stock main cap bolts are fine. i have build 800 HP blowen BBC using the stock main cap bolts
Thanks!!

My block is a 4 bolt main. Since I am building this to be a street friendly Vette, with about 500 HP I think the way I should go is with bolts.

I really appreciate it!!

www.bigdogvettes.com

Get notified of new replies

To Bolts or Studs

Quick Reply: Bolts or Studs