C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stick with C3 as Daily Driver?

Old 07-11-2004, 04:43 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Stick with C3 as Daily Driver?

I'm thinking... I have some money coming into my possession now, and I have a choice.

1) Update the vette. Get the AFR195s and knock something off my mod list. Get an interim hydraulic flat tappet cam and bump this thing up, hopefully, to about 280 whp. Also, rims and tires would undoubtedly be part of the equation.

2) Put the vette on the backburner, and buy a 2001-2004 Honda Civic Coupe, 5-spd and otherwise pretty trim. All I need is A/C and a stick shift. Gives me a chance to practice powershifting and heel-toe, something I may throw around the autocross course(although I already have that with the vette, and the vette will see road courses if I put rims and tires on!) But of course, I won't be able to modify the vette. Benefits of this are 3x the gas mileage, cheaper insurance, more time to work on the vette without the fear of not having a working car, etc.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-11-2004, 07:58 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Having 2 cars is plus, having 2 hot rods that are somewhat similiar is much better. For example bat. is dead in 1, swap from other, etc. Build a more powerful engine for primary hot rod & swap the engine into the other hot rod. That keeps power on both rising. At first I was going to have a car collection, by 18 w/ 3 hot rods & 2 g/f decided was one too many cars.
Two hot rods rec.!

Old 07-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have, for the most part had corvette's for my daily driver's since I was 22. I never was able to buy a new one so all of mine have been at least a few years old. If you buy a NEW car it is under warranty, but if you buy a late model anything, be ready for big expense when it breaks. More than you spend on your C3 and you won't recover any of it. At least what you put into your C3 will not be totally lost
Old 07-11-2004, 10:04 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

you must not be thinking straight. We'll cut you some slack.

I wouldn't be caught dead in a Honda anything.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

A buddy of mine drives about 120 miles a day to work. He started looking on the web for a Civic and found that he could buy a new one for around 14000 and get 38MPG. He is just on the verge of going that way. He drives a 2002 Chevy Blazer now and has a young son that plays sports so he is constantly on the go.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:27 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Well, if the epa types out there do not check your car for smog/orginality every year, you could put on later TPI injection, and double your economy and driveability....

but if they do, the swap is illegal in their pin heads.....

at 38 mpg, and 3 quarts per change, the honda maybe the way to go these daze....

VERY common for them to leave a blue cloud behind when running down the road....very common....

GENE
Old 07-11-2004, 10:40 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

don't buy a honda, get a domestic brand economy car.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:49 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Having a second car is always good. Takes the pressure off when you want to do a larger project on the Vette so you don't have to be done by monday morning.

But a Honda???? I'd rather have a lobotomy. Actually, I think a lobotomy is required to enjoy those POS's.

Yeah they get good gas mileage but also consider the initial expense+maintenance/repairs. Contrary to the propaganda you hear Hondas require repairs too and parts are $$$.

I'd look into an older, domestic, simple vehicle. Rear wheel drive, EFI. Something from the 80's. As long as it's one of the common platforms your repair costs will stay low and they use less gas than you'd think. I got a 83 Cadillac DeVille for free (can't beat that). Had it for 3 years and have spent very little in repairs. Gets 18 mpg city, 26 highway. A Little more than a Civic but has tons of room, no initial investment and people get out of my way (huge old battlecruisers have that effect on people).
Old 07-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Well the choices pretty much are as I stated.

I like the new Honda Civics and I'm pretty familiar with the platform, I've done work on them in the past. They're pretty modular like our vettes are. Parts are common and generally all Hondas work the same.

mrvette- I'd love to run EFI on my vette, but as you said, making my car more environmentally friendly is ILLEGAL in the state of California. My dual exhaust is illegal too.

AlwaysWave- When I look back into US domestic cars, the choices are rather slim. Um... Dodge Neon and Ford Focus? Actually, the Focus would not be that bad of a car, but I would much rather drive a Honda than a Ford. (I'll make some major exceptions for the GT40 or a 70 'Stang). Besides, when I think about domestic cars too long, my sights start to fall on a used C5 or a new GTO...
Old 07-11-2004, 01:53 PM
aharte
Drifting

A civic!? They drive like garbage. So do most american cars for that matter. With a few small exceptions, the germans really make the best sedans. Get an old BMW or Benz. They're RWD too.

Originally Posted by Pacin'California
Benefits of this are 3x the gas mileage, cheaper insurance, more time to work on the vette without the fear of not having a working car, etc.
Almost anything gets much better gas mileage than an old vette. There are much better (to drive) cars than a newer civic that will be cheaper to buy and are probably efficient enough.

Your insurance won't be cheaper for both cars combined versus just one, but I think it is a good idea to get a second car.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:23 PM
mstanton
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a C4 for my daily driver (my first non C3 vette). It so far has been a good compromise. Much more economical, reliable, and comfortable then my 71, but still a vette and not a Honda or Blazer, like I was driving.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Antnee77
Cruising

Originally Posted by turtlevette
I wouldn't be caught dead in a Honda anything.
Except a dirtbike!
Old 07-11-2004, 02:57 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

I am in the middle of a frame off on my '72 roadster and it will be my daily driver when I am done. That's the reason I'm putting all the work into it so I can have a nice, reliable daily driver when I am done. Should be better than new when done with fuel injected ZZ4

Craig
Old 07-11-2004, 03:27 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacin'California
I'm thinking... I have some money coming into my possession now, and I have a choice.

1) Update the vette. Get the AFR195s and knock something off my mod list. Get an interim hydraulic flat tappet cam and bump this thing up, hopefully, to about 280 whp. Also, rims and tires would undoubtedly be part of the equation.
Steve, Spend the cash for the heads and cam. With your exhaust being already finished with your low gearing and 4sp auto, you are too close to having some very good performance to get side-tracked now. Besides, I'm afraid your next poll will read "should I get a wing for the civic or go for the muffler and decal kit?" Your scaring me man!
Old 07-11-2004, 03:31 PM
75_STINGRAY
Advanced

Forget all those dumb little rice burners! This is gonna be my daily driver/parts runner when the Vette is ready for a BB transplant. Those imports and their mpg can kiss the bottom of my big fat tires! But seriously, keep focus on the Vette!
Old 07-11-2004, 03:35 PM
lowvette
Burning Brakes

Could you please resize the picture? This causes the entire thread to need horizontal scroll.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:41 PM
lowvette
Burning Brakes

I bought a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 with the SC/T package. Using my GM card awards, owner loyalty, bonus cash and factory rebates I took around $5000 off the asking price. It's a sharper looking car than any Honda. My only complaint is that the driver's seat is very uncomfortable - it seems to be a common complaint with the 6' and taller crowd. Looking to get Corbeau seats in the future.

A C4 or a Pontiac would be a better choice than a Honda.

Get notified of new replies

To Stick with C3 as Daily Driver?

Old 07-11-2004, 03:42 PM
75_STINGRAY
Advanced

Sorry bout that...I thought it would auto resize it like the old forum software did...
Old 07-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I think I've heard enough and have come to a decision.

After my first paycheck comes from my new job, I'm probably going to make a down payment.

Hope this doesn't disappoint anyone!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:37 PM
lpguthrie
Instructor

A C-3 to show and a C-4 to go A c-4 6spd on the highway should be in the mid 20's

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stick with C3 as Daily Driver?