C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New Hookers Ruined

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 01:29 AM
helix60
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Hookers Ruined

Well I finaly got the wifes '68 roadster on the road this week. Went to Summit and picked up the new Chrome Hooker Sidepipes for the car this morning. Spent about 4hrs by myself installing them. (boy did they look good)

Took the car for a short ride of 15 miles and stopped at a frineds to show off the car. When I rased the hook I found that the chrome on the passenger bank had blistered on all 4 tubes. The blistered area is about 8-10 inches long on each of the tubes. There is very little yellowing or any discoloration of the chrome from heat (purposly set it to run a little rich).

Is this a defect in the chromeing process? I'm running a Edelbrock performer intake which feeds two ports from each side of the carb, so I know that it isnt fuel related. The drivers side still looks new.

How difficult is it to get the passenger side replaced from Hooker/Holley?

Regards.
Heli

(edited for spelling)
Old 07-11-2004, 04:16 AM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you bought it from Summit, I would call them first and explain your problem. It sounds like defective chrome to me.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:49 AM
AndreG
Racer

I'm sure you will find them reasonable as it can only be a manufacturing process problem. Sucks though that you will be out of your time. I suspect you won't be alone, I'll bet other's whose pipes were chromed shortly before and after yours will also probably experience problems. There seem to have been a few posts this year concerning people complaining specifically of issues with Hookers and their chrome but none that I recall that were immediate such as yours.

I also need a set of sidepipes before long, given clearance and heat issues with my existing standard Hooker Super Competition headers. Do you see potential for large or larger front tires rubbing on them and is the ground clearance more than 3-4 inches?

Good luck with it!
Old 07-11-2004, 10:11 AM
helix60
Advanced

Thanks guys Called Summit this morning they are going to exchange the bad header. Now all I have to do is remove the bad one, Drive for 30 min and wait in their return line for another 1/2. Then drive 30 min home and put the new one on.

All in all about 5 hrs of wasted time. But good service from Summit

Regards,
Heli
Old 07-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Pantera_73
Intermediate

Default Just a litte trick on the headers first

There is a product that you can put into a "new" chrome pipe that will help stop the discoloration of chrome headers. Check with the Motorcycle shops near you and you can get it. keeps it from turning blue near the heads. once it is run through a heat cycle it is too late though.

sorry can't remember the name of it. Don't have time to find it cause I have to go to work in a few min.

Pantera
Tulsa
Old 07-11-2004, 12:44 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by helix60
Well I finaly got the wifes '68 roadster on the road this week. Went to Summit and picked up the new Chrome Hooker Sidepipes for the car this morning. Spent about 4hrs by myself installing them. (boy did they look good)

Took the car for a short ride of 15 miles and stopped at a frineds to show off the car. When I rased the hook I found that the chrome on the passenger bank had blistered on all 4 tubes. The blistered area is about 8-10 inches long on each of the tubes. There is very little yellowing or any discoloration of the chrome from heat (purposly set it to run a little rich).

Is this a defect in the chromeing process? I'm running a Edelbrock performer intake which feeds two ports from each side of the carb, so I know that it isnt fuel related. The drivers side still looks new.

How difficult is it to get the passenger side replaced from Hooker/Holley?

Regards.
Heli

(edited for spelling)
runnig rich will cause the fuel to burn in the pipes causing your problem,also no vacuum advance will cause extra heat in the exhaust ports. the fact that one side and not the other could be cause by how much air passes by the header
Old 07-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Chrome pipes,

Originally Posted by Pantera_73
There is a product that you can put into a "new" chrome pipe that will help stop the discoloration of chrome headers. Check with the Motorcycle shops near you and you can get it. keeps it from turning blue near the heads. once it is run through a heat cycle it is too late though.

sorry can't remember the name of it. Don't have time to find it cause I have to go to work in a few min.

Pantera
Tulsa
It`s called "Blue Away" available from scooter {Harley} shops
Old 07-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all else fails, you can always send them to Jet-Hot and have them Sterling coated. I would do that anyways, but that way at least you're not totally screwed.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:37 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Send back to Summit get your return and go on E-Bay buy a set of Hooker ceramic coated for $300 and your set for life. I polished mine with Mothers wheel paste and it looks like chrome.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:44 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali,68,L-79
Send back to Summit get your return and go on E-Bay buy a set of Hooker ceramic coated for $300 and your set for life. I polished mine with Mothers wheel paste and it looks like chrome.
Would you happen to know what the flange thickness measurement is?

TIA
Old 07-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DMONSVETTE
Would you happen to know what the flange thickness measurement is?

TIA
I'm embarrised to say no I forgot but it's the thicker of the 2 sizes normally found.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:24 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali,68,L-79
I'm embarrised to say no I forgot but it's the thicker of the 2 sizes normally found.
And now I'm embarrassed because I can only guess that the two
sizes are 1/4' and 3/8'?????

Get notified of new replies

To Brand New Hookers Ruined

Quick Reply: Brand New Hookers Ruined