C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is????

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 09:19 PM
ugman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is????

I have a 78 vette and I am doing a bunch of engine mods. Can someone tell me what the cannister is on the drivers side firewall, pretty low that a bunch of hoses come out of. I'm not using some of the hoses anymore and have just plugged them off. I'd really like to know if I'm screwing anything up by plugging the hoses.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:49 PM
wogs73
Advanced

It's called a carbon(charcoal) canister. It's part of the fuel evaporative control system. It controls the emission of vapor fumes from the fuel tank to the atmosphere. (Just took that out of my Haynes manual) Mine's not hooked up and runs just fine.

Last edited by wogs73; 07-10-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:30 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

wogs is righht thats an EVC. Its real function is to allow the fuel tank to breath and trap vapor from tank and feed it to carb to burn instead of venting to atmosphere. Some models trap carb fuel bowl vapors too. What I'm saying is if you plug the line to the tank you just plugged the tank vent. If you hear a sucking sound when you open the fuel cap you'll know why. Possible loss of fuel press too. Or on a hot day if the fuel cap farts you'll know your fuel vent is plugged up.
I just replaced this on my '74. Yea, small PIA. NAPA still sells'm for $55 as I didn't trust my 30 yr old charcoal.
The vapors that boil off inside tank (and sometimes carb) are trapped inside the EVC charcoal. When engine is running well above idle a ported vacuum sucks the trapped vapor into carb. The ported vacuum enters well above primary venturi throttle plate so it won't affect idle mixture - read that it could stall engine if at idle. EVC has a connection to atmosphere -stock one on bottom, NAPA connection is on top - to draw purge air through charcoal and into carb (or tank).
Hope this helps ya. cardo0
Old 07-11-2004, 06:08 PM
ugman
Advanced

What would I do with the hose instead of blocking it off since the Edelbrock carb doesn't have a connection for it?
Old 07-11-2004, 06:13 PM
i885744
Pro

My canister has all of the fuel lines connected from the tank, and the hoses that used to run to the carb i just removed, that way my tank is vented, all my vacuum accessories are hooked up, and everything's happy. I run a speed demon, but i've got the same amount of vacuum ports you do.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:24 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the replacement charcoal cannaster from car quest look like the origional? did it bolt right up?

Get notified of new replies

To what is????

Quick Reply: what is????