C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp. Guage

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Tom Johnson
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Amp. Guage

1971 The needle on my amp guage is at 40+ even with the ignition turned off. Can it be repaired or is it time for a new one?
Old 07-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amp gages read all of the time ingnition on or off. They are a magnetic coil that simply moves a magnet one way or the other depending on direction of current flow. How do you fix them? Making sure nothing is wrong with the electrical system is the first step. If ok, remove the gage and unwind the wire wrapped around it. Measure it, then get some coated copper wire of the same diameter and cut a piece the same length. wrap it around the gage as neatly as you can and solder the ends back on. It will work as good as new and you will retain the original gage. I did that when mine began to flutter.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:24 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Plenty of corvette instrument services around Tom. Just do a search on C3 forum. And yes, sounds like you need a repair/replacement on your ammeter. You can buy replacement amp gauges from our supporting vendors. But once I got my plastic instrument cluster into little pieces I decided to send mine out.
Good luck. cardo0
Old 07-11-2004, 01:20 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

The repair I described took about fifteen minutes but I had the wire on hand by chance. Just be VERY careful with the lettering, it comes off at the slightest touch. It is satisfying to fix somthing and have it work, and I didn't have to wait ten days.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Tom Johnson
Pro

The charging system is working fine. With the battery disconnected the needle on the amp. gauge stays at +40. Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Tom.. If you decide to go with a new (repro) gage beware that they are noticably different. The face is attached with two screws vertically and the original is two rivits horizontal. The fonts, color and overall quality of the repro stand right ou as very poor. It won't blend well with the rest of the gage's.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:31 AM
Tom Johnson
Pro

I am going tor try rebuilding the amp. gauge myself along with converting the clock to a quartz movement. I will be doing this during the winter months. If I fail to get the amp. gauge working correctly where would you suggest purchasing a good one? Thanks for the heads up Larry.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:47 PM
jeaux
Racer

I thought about just resoldering my amp meter but I was worried about some sort of fail safe in the wire or solder,anybody else done this. Sure beats shelling out coins for a repair or replacement the one I have was used and a little irratic.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:57 PM
JOliver
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeaux
I thought about just resoldering my amp meter but I was worried about some sort of fail safe in the wire or solder,anybody else done this. Sure beats shelling out coins for a repair or replacement the one I have was used and a little irratic.
I wouldn't resolder that wire back together,The wire has already been through alot of heat I'm sure there will be other bad places in it.
Rewrapping the wire is the best thing to do,but you need the same style wire or your readings will be different.
And the replacement gauges are ok,There are two one is very correct the other is the one mentioned above with the screws(they're junk).
I have new coils that I replace on those gauges.

Jason
VetteInstruments@aol.com
Old 07-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Corvette instument service in south Floida has a lot of stuff and is verty helpful www.corvetteinstrumentservice.com

Last edited by Larry B.; 07-11-2004 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:59 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

I've also rewrapped an amp gauge that worked great afterwards.
I read of a fellow doing it on the NCRS Tech board.
I found the right size wire at Radio Shack.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Tom Johnson
Pro

Where can I purchased the correct replacement amp. gauge for my 71?
Old 07-15-2004, 12:39 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Johnson
Where can I purchased the correct replacement amp. gauge for my 71?
You could also have yours rebuilt by Clocks by Roger. It would match perfectly then. I think he sells them outright as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Amp. Guage

Quick Reply: Amp. Guage