C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ColdHeat Tool?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 04:40 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ColdHeat Tool?

I've got a lot of work to do with rewiring and soldering. Just saw a commercial for this new portable soldering tool called "coldheat". If it really works, it would make all soldering jobs a lot easier!

Anyone have one? What do you think?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:41 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 80TexasC3
I've got a lot of work to do with rewiring and soldering. Just saw a commercial for this new portable soldering tool called "coldheat". If it really works, it would make all soldering jobs a lot easier!

Anyone have one? What do you think?

girlfreind wants to get me one.... I'm ???? myself
Old 07-12-2004, 07:58 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I would not trust a portable soldering iron that runs off a small battery, nothing worse than a soldering iron that doesn't solder properly. I have the Weller Portasol it is self contained and portable and it melts solder

http://www.divineimages.com/prod/it1...ERING/TOOL.htm
Old 07-12-2004, 08:04 PM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I would not trust a portable soldering iron that runs off a small battery, nothing worse than a soldering iron that doesn't solder properly. I have the Weller Portasol it is self contained and portable and it melts solder

http://www.divineimages.com/prod/it1...ERING/TOOL.htm
but have you seen the ad. ? looks like on 14/16 gauge it may
work the shield looks like it may get in the way for some things
to me Even if it does what it say's
Old 07-12-2004, 08:14 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

I have not seen the ad but simple physics tells me there is something wrong here. I did see a small battery, 1 AA ? or 2. In order to solder properly you have to heat the metal ( wire or whatever ) to be soldered up to 600 - 700 degs F, this takes energy and a couple of batteries ain't going to fair to well in this application.

I could be way off base here but I have had a few soldering irons in my hands that did not work worth a crap and it is very fusterating waiting a half an hour for something to heat up.

Only trying to help here and maybe save you a few bucks.

Actually I should be telling you to buy it and tell me how it works I am usually the sucker that gets these things first

Last edited by MotorHead; 07-12-2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:21 PM
comp
Team Owner

I have not seen the ad but simple physics tells me there is something wrong here. I did see a small battery, 1 AA ? or 2. In order to solder properly you have to heat the metal ( wire or whatever ) to be soldered up to 600 - 700 degs F, this takes engergy and a couple of batteries ain't going to fair to well in this application.

I could be way off base here but I have had a few soldering irons in my hands that did not work worth a crap and it is very fusterating waiting a half an hour for something to heat up.

I think (????) it said 800 deg. but if it's light gauge
wire it "may" work ...???
Old 07-12-2004, 08:42 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I have not seen the ad but simple physics tells me there is something wrong here. I did see a small battery, 1 AA ? or 2. In order to solder properly you have to heat the metal ( wire or whatever ) to be soldered up to 600 - 700 degs F, this takes energy and a couple of batteries ain't going to fair to well in this application.

Actually I should be telling you to buy it and tell me how it works I am usually the sucker that gets these things first
It's running a current through the solder to heat it up, not just to heat up the tip it's self.

https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vc...ldheat/115261/
Old 07-12-2004, 08:46 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

I just saw the commercial and it brings back memories of Popiels(sp?) Pocket Fisherman anyone seen anybody using one of those today ?

For $20 more get the Portasol it is a professional tool and it works good

Last edited by MotorHead; 07-12-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Easy Rider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cold Soldering Tool

I was in Dallas last week and saw the TV ad for this item. I was ready to order it on the spot. But, I had my son (an engineer) pull up the website for the company and we read all the facts on it. It works by "arcing" a current through a slot in the tip when the part to be soldered completes the circuit by touching both sides of the tip. BTW they sell a couple of additional tips for small and large work at an additional $9.95 each. If you are just tinning wire, it would be great, but there were several warnings from reviewers that you could easily overheat a printed circuit board if you didn't have the experience to do it right. I'm not saying it isn't a good tool, just that you should be careful if you're not experienced at electronic soldering. Check out the website - its interesting. Just Google for cold solder tool.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:43 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Whoa if that thing is using current to solder you can't go near a circuit board or any electronic device, that leaves as mentioned above tinning wire and costume jewelry repair
Old 07-13-2004, 12:30 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by Easy Rider
I was in Dallas last week and saw the TV ad for this item. I was ready to order it on the spot. But, I had my son (an engineer) pull up the website for the company and we read all the facts on it. It works by "arcing" a current through a slot in the tip when the part to be soldered completes the circuit by touching both sides of the tip. BTW they sell a couple of additional tips for small and large work at an additional $9.95 each. If you are just tinning wire, it would be great, but there were several warnings from reviewers that you could easily overheat a printed circuit board if you didn't have the experience to do it right. I'm not saying it isn't a good tool, just that you should be careful if you're not experienced at electronic soldering. Check out the website - its interesting. Just Google for cold solder tool.
That is what I figured it had to do. It is more like welding then soldering by passing a current.

Get notified of new replies

To ColdHeat Tool?

Quick Reply: ColdHeat Tool?