C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Top Weatherstrip Replacement on 1980

Old 07-10-2004, 12:45 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Default T-Top Weatherstrip Replacement on 1980

Please forgive as I'm sure this has been done to death, but searches didn't turn up much in the way of instructions for me.

I see lots of places to buy the weatherstripping for the t-tops, but not much info on what needs to be done. The stripping on my t-tops is actually in decent shape, except for the window side where there appears to be a metal stiffener/mount. That stripping has pulled away exposing the metal strip and the screws.

My intention is to replace all of it, doesn't seem to be much point in replacing just the one spot. Removing the old strip, gluing on the new seems fairly straight forward, but what to do about this metal strip on the window side? Should that be removed altogether and not replaced? Do these weatherstrip kits I've seen include that piece? I also see something about 2nd gen/style something with pins....

Help(and thanks!)!?!
Old 07-10-2004, 03:25 PM
80Xflags
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Molded inside the weatherstripping, along the window side, is a metal strip to help reinfoce the rubber, that's probably what you're seeing exposed. That molded in piece will get thrown out with the old stuff, and the new stuff will have it already inside and not-visible. The T-top trim that goes all along the outter edges does not come with the weatherstripping.

On my 1980, there were little plastic nubs (or pins) that pushed into holes along the fiberglass lip that mates up the the stripping, in addition to the glue. New pins came in the new stripping. Be carefull when undoing the screws on the window side. Mine were rusting in BIG time, and I ended up taking the trim off, using a grinding wheel, lots of penetrating oil, and a pair of vice-grips to get the screws out. Don't mess up your trim . . . I'm not sure where (or if) you can get a replacement. Once you get the old rubber off, scrape off any glue and wash down the area where the stripping goes. After that, gluing the new stuff on is pretty straight forward, just follow the directions on the glue.

Goodluck
Matt

Last edited by 80Xflags; 07-10-2004 at 03:28 PM. Reason: It helps if I actually read the title . . .
Old 07-10-2004, 03:32 PM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this:

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2002...ng/seals-1.asp
Old 07-10-2004, 09:25 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 80Xflags
Molded inside the weatherstripping, along the window side, is a metal strip to help reinfoce the rubber, that's probably what you're seeing exposed. That molded in piece will get thrown out with the old stuff, and the new stuff will have it already inside and not-visible. The T-top trim that goes all along the outter edges does not come with the weatherstripping.

On my 1980, there were little plastic nubs (or pins) that pushed into holes along the fiberglass lip that mates up the the stripping, in addition to the glue. New pins came in the new stripping. Be carefull when undoing the screws on the window side. Mine were rusting in BIG time, and I ended up taking the trim off, using a grinding wheel, lots of penetrating oil, and a pair of vice-grips to get the screws out. Don't mess up your trim . . . I'm not sure where (or if) you can get a replacement. Once you get the old rubber off, scrape off any glue and wash down the area where the stripping goes. After that, gluing the new stuff on is pretty straight forward, just follow the directions on the glue.

Goodluck
Matt
OK, I am admittedly being thick, but it's going to be about the first thing that I do to this car myself and I want a paranoia check....

The metal(rust at this point) with the screws does appear to be formerly inside the weatherstripping. I am not talking about the chrome trim around the edges.

Reading the instructions from the article about the Zip stuff, there's no mention of putting in screws, so perhaps these screws go into these plastic nubs and there's nothing to screw it into the top itself?

Thanks for the info guys, both were very informative.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Quinn_Seipp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
OK, I am admittedly being thick, but it's going to be about the first thing that I do to this car myself and I want a paranoia check....

The metal(rust at this point) with the screws does appear to be formerly inside the weatherstripping. I am not talking about the chrome trim around the edges.

Reading the instructions from the article about the Zip stuff, there's no mention of putting in screws, so perhaps these screws go into these plastic nubs and there's nothing to screw it into the top itself?

Thanks for the info guys, both were very informative.
just go look at it, its very simple, where the window rolls up and touches the weatherstripping on the t top there should be 3 screws, take them out and pop out all the other ones, installed the new weatherstripping. I used a little bit of glue on mine, donno if its necessary.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:49 AM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default T-Top Weatherstrip

I just finished putting new weather-stripping on my 70. I recommend that you do not remove the metal piece that retains the portion of weatherstripping where you windows roll up. It is not necessary and could create problems. The original stripping is held in place in this metal piece with adhesive and the form fitting of weatherstripping in the metal piece. When you remove your old weatherstripping, just pull it off and you will leave the plastic retaining pins, or most of them in your t-top. They will have a T shape and secure in the t-top pretty good. Patience is in order. They can be a little difficult to twist out. What you don't want to do is loose them into the hole. They will be in the t-top and rattle when the t-top is lifted and rotated. In using the adhesive to secure your new weatherstripping read the application instructions. The stuff I used was applied to the t-top and weatherstrip separate and allowed to dry. Also in the metal retainer. Then I applied adhesive to the weatherstrip in short lengths putting it in place and installing the plastic retainers. This will allow you to be patient and do a better job. I did a lot of surface cleaning of the old adhesive. My weatherstripping was 34 years old and cleaning out the metal retainer took time, I did not get in a hurry and it all turned out good. The two grooves in the metal reatainer retained a lot of the old weatherstripping and I was patient in removing it. I spend several hours cleaning the old adhesive.

Get notified of new replies

To T-Top Weatherstrip Replacement on 1980

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T-Top Weatherstrip Replacement on 1980