C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Called "Repro" Parts With Pix

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default So Called "Repro" Parts With Pix

Someone posted about this the other day. Here's my "rant" continued Here are some pictures.

The first is an original 63-7 pillar WS compared to the repro. Let's see. The repro is nearly 1 inch shorter. Notice the mold/parting line in the repro? Pretty big. NOT a small difference. How about the dots? This WS is advertised as the "new improved correct" WS. I don't think so.

The next 3 pix are the repro 63-7 parking light compared to an original. Let's see....No logo on the back. No "boot" on the copper/brass connector. Wires the wrong color (and I have others to compare..this isn't aging). Wrong crimping on the heat shrink tubing. AND although I didn't take a pic, the screws that hold the lens on the front are about 3/4 size from the original.

Now, I ask, are these "reproduction" parts, or "fair facimile" parts? If you were judging a car for NCRS or Bloomington, would you give "full credit" for these? I don't think so. Comments welcome..

Also, I have no beef that these parts "will work and function", but they "ain't correct", and if I'm going to spend my money, I'd like correct stuff, especially since it's advertised as such. Chuck

Old 07-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can tell you that the repro parts I got for my 83 stepper are of waaay better quality and correctness than any corvette repro I got, especially the interior replacement parts are HORRIBLE
Old 07-10-2004, 07:50 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

TT, Chuck, I agree, most interior parts and more than afew other parts are absolute crap, I did find my interior carts from Corvette America?? seemed good, as well as Al Knoch, but I never have been happy with any carpeting kits...they universalls sux....

GENE
Old 07-10-2004, 08:15 AM
Red_Shift
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying the replacement interior parts are crap or the orgininal? I read in a book somewhere the technology in interior trim peices has changed so much that the new interior trim peices hold up a lot better then the original. *It also suggested replacing all the trim at once and by the same supplier to ensure they match perfectly.*

If the replacement trim peices are crap, what's bad about them? I plan to replace my interior soon.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple of years ago I decided to redo my shifter console I. orded a new A/C control face place.... different font on the repro.. I ordered a new rear fiber optic lens... looked perfect but produced tiny bright dot instead of the nice defussed light of the original. I put the original back in. I got an engine data plate .... different font. I don't get it... how can someone make a repro and make it obviouly wrong like all of the repro gages.?. Big difference on those. I know that GM service parts can be different but when parts a advertized as reproductions of the original?
Old 07-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

The replacement interior parts might be made of a "better", improved material, but in general, they fit POORLY. You'll pull you hair out trying to get repro door panels to fit. You'll find that carpet from many manufacturers isn't cut correctly, AND, as LarryB says, consoles don't fit, gauges have the wrong fonts, as do AC/heater controls and data plates. The list of crap is endless.

It's true that if you buy everything at once...same "dye lot", that you'll get a better...NOT perfect color match. DON'T expect the shade of color of your carpet to match the dash pad and seats perfectly. AIN'T gonna happen. Chuck
Old 07-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

I have the original carpet.. It is a little dirty but in generally good shape.. The fit is far better than usually see with re-carpet jobs.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:32 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find myself to be on the look out for good used original color pieces at all times. Although I did buy a repo 68 center instrument cluster bezel that fit great.

Last edited by R1234; 07-10-2004 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:35 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Good
The repro carpet in my car is crap, the repro weatherstrip is crap. I'd like to replace my door panels but seeing the quality of most of this stuff puts me in the position of just living with what I've got, cracks and all.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:44 AM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree 100%.
HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO
1) Use the original color wire?
2) Use the correct fonts?
3) manufacture a correct lenght piece of trim or metal?
Old 07-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

MARC!!! where have you been?
Old 07-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I am fighting with my dash panel right now. For the life of me I cannot make the drivers side go in. I had my old stuff out several times, so I thought that this would be a breeze. Ha. I am frustrated to the max. I had to come in a cool off.

Just venting a little.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Drivers side always gives me trouble and mine is the original. Dash work is just not as much fun as it used to be.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:45 PM
checklst
Racer

I am doing my 71 interior right now, I have found the parts I am replacing to be vary good repos. I am lucky most of my interior just required dyeing although I did replace the door panels, top dash pad, seat covers, dash bezel, and carpet.

The only 2 real problems I had, was the New Radio, the heat sink made it 1 inch longer the original, no way it was going to allow the gauge bezel to seat properly (had to remove the cooling fins) hopefully the radio will last with out the heat sink it is only a 40 watt unit.

The gauge bezel was a good fitting repo, except they did no casting clean up work after removal from the cast. Sharp edges, rough sharp textured gauge surface, burs everywhere and cheap flat black paint with no primer. I THOUGHT WHAT A SHAME TO GO TO ALL THAT trouble finding a MFG to make a exact casting copy just to fall flat on you face just before the FINISH LINE, took me about 1 hour to sand and debur, and 2 hours to finish it with the proper SATIN FINISH with primer.

I will say I had my sons help on the interior install (with the extra set of hands) it went back together a lot smoother than when I was doing it by myself.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I've always wondered that if someone is going to bother to "remake" a part in the first place, why not make it right in the first place.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Borowski
I've always wondered that if someone is going to bother to "remake" a part in the first place, why not make it right in the first place.
'Cause regardless of quality.. we keep buying the crap?
Old 07-10-2004, 04:42 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Same here... take your pick on mine... gap at the top of the spedo/tach or gap below.

Get notified of new replies

To So Called "Repro" Parts With Pix

Old 07-10-2004, 05:15 PM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Repro parts are hit-or-miss. I almost prefer the worn look to a mismatched appearance.

At the very least, it's good to read that the claims of lost luggage have declined.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Chuck I see you get the Baltomore Sun I can't agree with you more about repo parts for mid years, the ones for the 67 were not close to orginals. where did you get them.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:04 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

[B][I]Come on fellows there has to be some good stuff out there? Any ideas?

Quick Reply: So Called "Repro" Parts With Pix