C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People that have done the Camaro/Firebird seat belt conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default People that have done the Camaro/Firebird seat belt conversion

I just got my black 2001 Camaro SS seatbelts. But, all four of the seat belts seem to be locked into the position the arrived in. I can't pull the belt out, kind of like you when you hit the brakes real hard and the belts lock up.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get them to extract?
Old 07-09-2004, 09:44 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

The reels have got to be stationary in a more or less horizontal position for them to pay out the belt. Try setting them flat on a table.

JB
Old 07-09-2004, 10:26 PM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The internal locking mechinism will keep the belt locked unless it's held or mounted at the same angle as the car they came out of.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:29 PM
SharkPilot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there,
This may seem like a silly question, but why do you use Camaro SS seat belts in your Vette? Are they better than what was there originally?
I am curious because the belts in my '69 need to be either replaced or rewebbed. Only the shoulder harness has a retractor. I have always been curious if belts from another model car would bolt in and not only be safe (of course) but also a bit more convenient to use. Like with retractors on the lap belts too.
You guys have any ideas or experience with this?
Thank you,
SharkPilot
Old 07-09-2004, 10:35 PM
jeaux
Racer

I just did this to my 75,they work well ,but I have issues with the shoulder attachment as far as dismandling the buckles [I'm scared] but if replacement aren't available there the way to go
Old 07-09-2004, 10:43 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by jcswm
The internal locking mechinism will keep the belt locked unless it's held or mounted at the same angle as the car they came out of.
Which is almost perfectly horizontal.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

SharkPilot - I have watched people talk about using the rear seat belts out of a 4th gen f-body for a couple years. They are supposed to be a direct bolt in and a cheap alternative to having old belts rewebbed or purchasing a set of reproduction belts.

I purchased my car without any seat belts so I knew I would have to buy f-body belts. I purchased a set of black Camaro belts of Ebay for $46 with shipping. Not bad eh? If I could post a link to an archived thread of mine, I could give you a couple other options for purchasing them. There is a 4th gen f-body junk yard in Alabama. I called them and they wan $75 a set for the rear belts. The only reason I didn't buy from them was they said that they hardly ever get black belts in. So, as everyone suggested, I just watched ebay. It took about a month, but finally a set of black belts popped up and didn't go for a fortune. I decided the max I would pay with shipping would be $100 since I could just buy a set from that junk yard for that price.

I plan to do what many people who have made this ebay purchase have done. After I get the rear belts installed, I am going to resell the fronts on Ebay.

jcswm - I looked at a friends 95 TA today to see how the belts were positioned. I am trying to hold mine in a similar position, but does it have to be an exact match for them to unlatch?
Old 07-09-2004, 10:48 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

The REAR seat belts out of a '93+ Camaro/Firebird offer a cheap, reliable, relatively simple way to get functional shoulder belts into an older C3 without paying through the nose for replacement belts or a belt tune-up.

'69s are a bit more difficult as the stock location of the belt retractor is on the SidE of the wheelwell and not on top of it. This means you have to replace the belt reinforcement with a newer one, fabricate one, or fabricate a bracket to move the bolt location from the side to the top of the wheelwell.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:58 PM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jcswm - I looked at a friends 95 TA today to see how the belts were positioned. I am trying to hold mine in a similar position, but does it have to be an exact match for them to unlatch?
I think it got to be within 15 degrees (in all directions) just to unlock.... To work properly they would need mounted EXACTLY the same!!!

Last edited by jcswm; 07-10-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:19 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

I've got the late model camaro belts in my '69 and they work perfectly and are far more secure than the lap belts only setup my car came from the factory with. The mounting point on the wheel wells is very close to same position that the rear belts on the Camaro/Firebird mount in.

BTW, there's another alternative to fabricating a 90degree bracket for the '69. The anchoring plate for the belt is exactly the same as the '70 and later, an L-shaped piece in the inside of the wheel well. It's just drilled on the side instead of the top for the '69. All you have to do is drill a new hole through the wheel well and the anchor plate on top of the wheel well and mount the reels, being VERY careful not to drill through your fuel lines, which sit exactly under where you need to drill. Works like a charm.

JB
Old 07-10-2004, 12:37 AM
ACECO
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Bought a set of all 4 Camaro belts on eBay for approx $45 w/shipping. Got nearly 2/3rds of that back selling the fronts when I was done. Can't go too far wrong for less than $20 for the pair.

The belts work fine as long as you keep the retractor level on the top of the wheelwell. They are not exactly the same look as the originals, but for the price you can't beat them.

Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2004, 01:05 AM
SharkPilot
Instructor

Thanks everybody for all the ideas and suggestions. I am going to look into putting those belts into my '69.

Old 07-10-2004, 07:32 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

I got mine off Ebay for $0.99 plus shipping- $7.46. Not to bad. With a little work they fit and work better then the original belts and shoulder straps. They have more room when fully extended so my 275# body doesn't have to squish his well-earned beer belly.

Interior
Old 07-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Very timely post. I am getting ready hopefully today to start this project. I should have my dash completely installed this morning.
I am not taking my belts through the seats though. What I was wondering is if anyone has any pics of the mounting points. Did you cut the carpet out where the shoulder mounts or did you let the mount stay on top of the carpet and just bolt it down? At the console did you use the front or rear mounts for latches? It looks like I am going to have to use the rears there too.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:02 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
Very timely post. I am getting ready hopefully today to start this project. I should have my dash completely installed this morning.
I am not taking my belts through the seats though. What I was wondering is if anyone has any pics of the mounting points. Did you cut the carpet out where the shoulder mounts or did you let the mount stay on top of the carpet and just bolt it down? At the console did you use the front or rear mounts for latches? It looks like I am going to have to use the rears there too.
I left the carpet in place and just drilled a hole through it, the fiberglass, and the anchor plate, then put the reel on top of the carpet using new grade 8 bolts.

BTW, if you do the drilling thing on a '69, get a small piece of 1/2 plyboard and stick it in the gap between the fiberglass and the fuel lines on top of the frame rail. That way, when you're drilling, you know to stop when you hit wood, and it will keep from accidently drilling into your fuel lines.

JB
Old 07-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Thanks for the help guys. Once I figured out which direction the retractors should be held in, they worked fine. I was holding them upside down. :bb

There should be three bolts used to attach each set of belts. Anyone know what size they are? And where I can get them?

Get notified of new replies

To People that have done the Camaro/Firebird seat belt conversion

Quick Reply: People that have done the Camaro/Firebird seat belt conversion