C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starts fine at home, not good at work ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Freepop
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starts fine at home, not good at work ???

74 bone stock 350 Q-jet...
Start the car in the garage, hi-idle works good, kick it off and idles good. Get to work and 4 1/2 hours later, turn the key car starts immediately. I leave it on high idle for about 15 seconds and kick it off high and it stumbles and acts like it's flooding out. Any guesses why? Sitting in the sun and tank evaporation or some other wierd anomoly?

This is not a one time thing, I believe it's been more than half a dozen times, and it consistant. I know I hate work, do you think that the car can read my feelings?

Last edited by Freepop; 07-09-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:15 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Too much stress at the office... Stay home...

Your boss should understand that you need to work from the house... It's a Vette thing.

Seriously, I would understand if it would not start (vapor lock?). But starting then having touble has me puzzeled... Will watch this thread with great interest.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Freepop
Pro

Thanks Texas for the bump and the curiosity. I replied so I could set it up ro get an Email when there wa a reply.

I agree if the engine was hot I'd have an idea but with it sitting that long, it's got me confused.

Well all you experts I'm
Old 07-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Freepop
Thanks Texas for the bump and the curiosity. I replied so I could set it up ro get an Email when there wa a reply.

I agree if the engine was hot I'd have an idea but with it sitting that long, it's got me confused.

Well all you experts I'm

No expert but wild shot in the dark, have you tried letting it high idle for a minute or 2 before kicking it down, might need to warm up a touch.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Freepop
Pro

Fevre, I am talking about the highest lobe on the high idle cam. I just give it a little tap so it goes to the second lobe. It revs at sometthing like 1600 rpm (on the highest lobe) if I remember and I remember reading in the owners manual that it's not good to let it idle like that for extended periods. So I usually let it stay on the highest one about 15-20 seconds give it a little tap, then let it stay on second (guessing 1100 rpm) for about 1-1 1/2 minutes, then kick it to the floor to activate the choke pull-off and get it down to idle so I can put it in gear without slamming my U-joints. Works excellent at home
Old 07-09-2004, 07:43 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

We need Lars for this one.... Suggest you email him or send a quick message to ask to take a look at your thread.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:08 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine tends to do the same thing, I rebuilt the carb and think the choke is releasing to soon.

I am going to adjust the choke (more choke).

Just guessin' with mine.

Terry
Old 07-09-2004, 11:11 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Have you tried working 8 hours and starting after that ?
Old 07-09-2004, 11:54 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

It doesn't like going to work.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Freepop
Pro

I work 9 hrs a day usually but do need lunch and an excuse to drive to the vette.
When I left Friday, I payed little more attention. It won't idle, even on the highest setting of the cam after a minute or so from starting. I am 99% sure it is a flooding issue too. When it's at work, it's sitting in the sun. Could this be caused by the evap system or is more likely that the needle just doesn't want to function when at work?
I put it into drive and in 50 feet it seems okay. I have had flooding nightmares in the past. I rebuilt the carb, drove for the summer and towards fall it started acting up. After playing around with it, I got it functioning, except for this issue. I plan on sending it to Lars this winter, basically wanting to get through till then.

Last edited by Freepop; 07-13-2004 at 03:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Starts fine at home, not good at work ???

Quick Reply: Starts fine at home, not good at work ???