C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Problem

Old 07-09-2004, 01:01 PM
ATCGuy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Problem

I just received my heads back from the shop completely re-done and am trying to get them back on the car but cannot find what I believe to be the right head gasket. I have a 1970 with the 454 and the fel-pro gasket that the auto parts store says to use for my application is 8180 pt-2. However when you open the package the instructions say that some 427 and 454's have two different coolant passage variations. Well of course mine has the different variation so it says to use fel-pro 8523 pt. After purchasing this set of gaskets I've noticed that it does open the previously closed passages but now it covers one other passage toward the outside of the block??? Fel-pro is saying that this is the correct set but I'm very nervous about putting my heads back on knowing some of the coolant passages are not open when they probably should be. Additonally, GM no longer carries this part, go figure. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the fix action? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions, I'd appreciate it...
Chad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head Gasket Problem