C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea for a G-Machine

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Antnee77
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea for a G-Machine

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and would like to introduce my plan. I know someone with a 1972 Vette for sale that I want to buy. I want to transform this car into a G-machine, with modernized suspension, brakes, transmission, interior, etc. I was curious to see what the people in this forum would think of the idea. I wasn't sure whether you guys frowned at this sort of thing. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:55 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

no some will frown but most have upgrades already,im slowely turning mine into one.Oh and welcome to the fourm.

Last edited by patsnitrovette; 07-09-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:56 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Why are you worrying about what others think? Do what YOU want.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:12 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Old 07-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

first off WELCOME!

Secondly that is what I am aiming towards with my 77, I am not going all out road race ready but Definitly upgrading. I bought my car with an LT1 and ZF6 6 spd already in place, plus the prev owner had already redone the suspension with newer poly components, I will be repairing what was done improperly and upgrading as I go, will take me some time but I plan on having a pretty well rounded 77 when I am done.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:34 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Yes, welcome to the forum.

I'm wholeheartedly for improving on all aspects of performance. The nice thing about a Corvette is that a lot of parts on the car are already heavy duty so things that would have to be upgraded on other cars don't have to replaced. There are also a lot of good performance parts available to make it a real cornering monster. So the real question is how much money do you have to spend on it and how fast do you want to go?
Old 07-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Antnee77
Cruising

Thanks a lot for the responses. I plan to drop in a new engine, possibly a 427 or 454. I am also thinking about a Steeroids Power Steering System. I'm just going to take it one step at a time and hopefully end up with a great car in the end. And btw tshort, I was basically looking for ideas, and most importantly, feedback from those whom have already transformed their C3 Vette into a G-Machine.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:10 AM
71stingraybigblock
Racer

A major improvement for me was the Vette Brakes Performance Plus suspension upgrade. This allows adjustment in ride height and spring rate. The kit comes with poly components, tubular A-arms, Bilstein shocks, conversion from coil springs up front to a transversely mounted fiberglass mono spring. This was the best upgrade I have done to my Vette.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:31 AM
lowvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Antnee77
Thanks a lot for the responses. I plan to drop in a new engine, possibly a 427 or 454. I am also thinking about a Steeroids Power Steering System. I'm just going to take it one step at a time and hopefully end up with a great car in the end. And btw tshort, I was basically looking for ideas, and most importantly, feedback from those whom have already transformed their C3 Vette into a G-Machine.
Unless you get an aluminum block, that BBC engine will hurt your handling. You may want to consider building a 383 to get power while keeping the front end light. No experience with Steeroids here, but if it does as advertised it should be a major improvement.

My 2 cents: If you want ultimate handling for lowest cost, go with a C4. You'll have race car like handling, a suspension that can handle plenty of power with engine uprgrades, wider tires and overdrive. I love my '77 and will never sell it, but plan to someday buy a 1996 for track racing at Road Atlanta (www.roadatlanta.com) and Roebling Road (www.roeblingroad.com).
Old 07-10-2004, 11:39 AM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered a Gen III LS6? I think you can get them complete for $7500. Lightweight and "hi"-tech, kinda goes with the G-Machine genre.

Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Antnee77
Cruising

Originally Posted by lowvette
Unless you get an aluminum block, that BBC engine will hurt your handling. You may want to consider building a 383 to get power while keeping the front end light. No experience with Steeroids here, but if it does as advertised it should be a major improvement.

My 2 cents: If you want ultimate handling for lowest cost, go with a C4. You'll have race car like handling, a suspension that can handle plenty of power with engine uprgrades, wider tires and overdrive. I love my '77 and will never sell it, but plan to someday buy a 1996 for track racing at Road Atlanta (www.roadatlanta.com) and Roebling Road (www.roeblingroad.com).
I appreciate the input. I am going to stick with the 68-72 Vette, though. You are obviously right about the C4 being an easier project, but I had my heart set on a 68-72 and I am not all that crazy about the styling cues of the C4.

VETDRMS, I will look into a Gen III LS6, as I have not done so already. Sounds like it might be just what I am looking for! Thanks !
Old 07-10-2004, 12:14 PM
lowvette
Burning Brakes

When I auto-x or drag race my '77, often someone tells me they like the shark bodies best of all the Vettes. The 68-72 is a good choice for style. I'd stay away from the 68 because (I believe / not 100% sure) the rear suspension is a little different for narrower wheels. Before you buy, test drive a C4 if you've never driven one.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Antnee77
Cruising

I might just take you up on that offer. The Vette I am currently looking at is a 72,
Old 07-10-2004, 03:21 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

Default I agree

Originally Posted by 71stingraybigblock
A major improvement for me was the Vette Brakes Performance Plus suspension upgrade. This allows adjustment in ride height and spring rate. The kit comes with poly components, tubular A-arms, Bilstein shocks, conversion from coil springs up front to a transversely mounted fiberglass mono spring. This was the best upgrade I have done to my Vette.
I agree - the Vette Brakes Performance Plus suspension kit is superb. Combine this kit with some 17" or 18" wheels and Z rated tires and you'll be one happy camper. I also added the hydro-boost braking system, Steeroids rack and pinion and Guldstrand 5 link rear suspension. I am very satisfied with the combination - and would recommend to anyone interested in handling uprades for their C3.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:14 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Antnee77
And btw tshort, I was basically looking for ideas, and most importantly, feedback from those whom have already transformed their C3 Vette into a G-Machine.
I was actually just encouraging you to do what you wanted with your car. The way you worded your question it sounded like you wanted approval from the corvette forum if you should mod your vette, not feedback on certain modifications. You didn't really ask any specific performance questions. I've been here for a while and I see a lot of people too afraid to make their own decisions and let the rest of us make them for them. Then as soon as the trend moves to something different they don't like what they've done anymore.

Good luck with your project.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Antnee77
Cruising

OIC, tshort. I am definitely going to go along with it and I'll be sure to post pictures along the way. There's also no doubt that I'll have my share of questions about products and install problems, etc. Thanks again guys!
Old 07-11-2004, 06:49 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I've got to ask the stupid question. What exactly is a "G machine"?
When I saw this title I was thinking oh no, I picture some kid with a civic saying "hey yo dog, check out my g machine with the wing", but I see some serious responses here so I've got to ask the question. Never heard the phrase before.

Get notified of new replies

To Idea for a G-Machine

Old 07-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by lowvette
I'd stay away from the 68 because (I believe / not 100% sure) the rear suspension is a little different for narrower wheels.
The only difference between the '68 and other years is the stock rims were 15X7 and in '69 widened to 15X8.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderD
OK I've got to ask the stupid question. What exactly is a "G machine"?
When I saw this title I was thinking oh no, I picture some kid with a civic saying "hey yo dog, check out my g machine with the wing", but I see some serious responses here so I've got to ask the question. Never heard the phrase before.

"G" Machine one that is built for handling, thus taking g's (G-forces).

Old 07-11-2004, 10:51 PM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Hey SpyderD, A G-machine will usually also be slammed and have 17" or larger wheels. It's a very common style now. I forgot the site, but if you search G-machines you'll probably find a site where they specialize in building cars this way. I've seen everything from Camaros, Novas, etc., etc. being built to at least look like a G-machine. Definitely a very cool look (at least to me).

Quick Reply: Idea for a G-Machine