C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-30-2015, 05:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:08 AM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

Default navigation system

What's the thinking on the NAV option, I, currently don't have it on order but now considering. We, will be moving to Florida in the next few weeks, it might come in handy, being in a new area. I, believe you can now get the cd changer mounted in the rear? Does the vette logo stay on when not in use? Pros & cons of value. thanks
Old 07-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Hurricane

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

I've had a nav system in my wife's Acura for the last three years and have found it incredibly useful and worth every penny we spent on it.

It's been debated to death in this section and you will get folks who agree with me and folks who would rather use a map. The best suggestion is to go out and try one out for yourself and see if you what you think of them.

I'll never own another car without one, I've found it that useful.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:15 AM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Originally Posted by harley2
What's the thinking on the NAV option, I, currently don't have it on order but now considering. We, will be moving to Florida in the next few weeks, it might come in handy, being in a new area. I, believe you can now get the cd changer mounted in the rear? Does the vette logo stay on when not in use? Pros & cons of value. thanks
I ordered it looks cool and it even shows up on the hud if you miss your turn it even gives you more directions how to get there you will never get lost!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

The NAV in our new Honda rocks! Far better than using a map. Now I can get directions instantly and audibly instead of having to pull over to read the map.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:05 PM
sorka
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real question though is how useful will the C6 nav be? Honda and Toyota have the absolute best navs in the industry. Nothing else touches them. Infiniti/Nissan is considered a close second behind them, but it's not even close. Toyota and Honda have virtually 100% coverage of turn by turn throughout the entire US. Nissan only has about 5% coverage for turn by turn and only covers major cities. We bought an FX45 with tech and I wish I'd checked instead of just assuming that the large city I live in had turn by turn coverage, but it doesn't. Make sure the map coverage is going to be there where you need it.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:07 PM
wlee013
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Nav system doesn't work in Hawaii, but I ordered anyway for the touchscreen!

Wife thinks I am nuts, but maybe one day there will be coverage in Hawaii.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:30 PM
KISSfn
Pro

I have a Garmin GPS in my C5 and I love it! It speaks to tell you when to turn. I ordered the Nav on my C6 and I won't be without one again. Plus, it will help resale value.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:36 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

I love it in our other vehicles.. comes in handy quite a bit... I ordered it on my C6...
Old 07-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Tonks
Intermediate

We have the same basic GM system in our 2004 Caddy SRX and think it is great. We live in Gainesville, FL and have used it throughout FL. The Corvette should be even better with a second display in the HUD.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

I was wondering how GM works the NAV map updates? What do they charge, and how often are they released? I assume this is a user replaceable disk.

Michael
Old 07-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Hurricane

Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by Michael A
I was wondering how GM works the NAV map updates? What do they charge, and how often are they released? I assume this is a user replaceable disk.

Michael
On my wife's Acura, you can order a new DVD to upgrade it, $185. You won't have to do it very often, though. Updates for it are usually every 2-3 years - roads don't change that often.

I would imagine that the Vette wouldn't be too different, but maybe someone with a GM nav system will chime in with a more accurate picture.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by KISSfn
I have a Garmin GPS in my C5 and I love it! It speaks to tell you when to turn. I ordered the Nav on my C6 and I won't be without one again. Plus, it will help resale value.
One thing to remember as far as resale value goes, these Nav systems are going to be the most dated piece of equipment in the cars. I suspect that in 3-5 years you'll have much more advanced Nav systems (and other in-car electronics).

I also wouldn't want to think about what it will cost to replace these "old" LCD displays in 5 years when pixels start dropping out and they start looking horrible (which should happen just after the warranty runs out).

As you can probably tell, I ordered mine without. I probably don't need one now, but if I feel the urge, I'll buy a stand-alone one. Then in 5 years, I'll buy the new one, which is integated into a watch, with true interactive speach, real-time traffic updates, and a flexible display that folds and unfolds like, well, a map!
Old 07-10-2004, 01:01 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Sort of a tangent I guess but is the space a standard 2DIN? A lot of options available that a fellow could consider if it is...
Old 07-10-2004, 02:12 AM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We have it in our MDX and love it, however, I don't I have one in my current sports car and I likely won't get it for the C6. It really depends on how you use the car. For me the C6 is a commuter car and I generally don't need directions to get myself to work everyday. However, we take family trips, etc., in the MDX and this is where the nav pays off. Sure there are a few times I take my car somewhere that having a nav would have been useful, however, I don't do so near enough to make it worth the added expense. Funny how the price of a navi really hasn't changed since its debut.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:35 AM
C5 StockSwap
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by S2K
We have it in our MDX and love it, however, I don't I have one in my current sports car and I likely won't get it for the C6. It really depends on how you use the car. For me the C6 is a commuter car and I generally don't need directions to get myself to work everyday. However, we take family trips, etc., in the MDX and this is where the nav pays off. Sure there are a few times I take my car somewhere that having a nav would have been useful, however, I don't do so near enough to make it worth the added expense. Funny how the price of a navi really hasn't changed since its debut.
Just the opposite for me...the C6 is a pleasure, cruiser car that I will take on trips to BG, Forum cruises, cars shows, etc. Nav will come in very handy. It was mentioned earlier, and I agree that the Nav system in my Acura TL was one of the best I've ever seen or used.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

These are good points. I guess if you use a lot, then it would be worth it. If not, it may be something that will become outdated too fast to offset the depreciation.

This is why I wish Intel, or a consortium of manufacturers would come up with an standard automotive computer form factor and interface, so we could upgrade our nav/entertainment computer equipment easily with off the shelf equipment every few years, similar to what the auto manufacturers with doing for cell phones and blue tooth interfaces.

Michael
Old 07-10-2004, 02:34 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
One thing to remember as far as resale value goes, these Nav systems are going to be the most dated piece of equipment in the cars. I suspect that in 3-5 years you'll have much more advanced Nav systems (and other in-car electronics).

This is completely false. The NAV systems won't be outdated because there are DVD upgrades available to keep them current.

Get notified of new replies

To navigation system

Old 07-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Motor City Vette
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the navigation system in my '04 Cadillac SRX and it's great. I think the Cadillac nav system is the best in the industry (it beats the snot out of my friend's Lexus). You can program in a destination and let it speak to you about where to turn, etc. You can also change the views from 2D to 3D, etc. Anyway, I imagine the C6 will be very similar to the Caddy's, if not the same. Pretty fun.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Hurricane

Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by Motor City Vette
I have the navigation system in my '04 Cadillac SRX and it's great. I think the Cadillac nav system is the best in the industry (it beats the snot out of my friend's Lexus). You can program in a destination and let it speak to you about where to turn, etc. You can also change the views from 2D to 3D, etc. Anyway, I imagine the C6 will be very similar to the Caddy's, if not the same. Pretty fun.
Having been extremely pleased with the Acura Nav system, this is very good feedback to hear, concerning GM nav systems.

I'm looking forward to getting a nav when I get a C6!
Old 07-10-2004, 10:09 PM
c6gofst
Instructor

I think you will find it useful, especially in a new area. If you do decide to get it, I beleive you will find you will never be without one again. I have one in each of my other cars and wouldn't be caught dead without. You will find uses for it, even if you didn't think you would. With respect to the technology, you always have to decide when to jump in. Systems have improved greatly in the last 4 years, from CD's to DVD's etc. They are also becoming more commonplace in different levels of cars (eg. Nissan Altima)

I can almost guarantee you will be happy you did order if you do, and you will wish you had if you don't. Either way, you will still have that same **** eatin' grin on your face as you motor around FL.

Quick Reply: navigation system