Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Mystery.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 03:51 AM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Turn Signal Mystery.

I am driving around a couple days ago and I notice that the right turn signal is flashing faster then usual. I go ok, no big deal just a burnt out bulb. So I pull over with the turn signal on, get out, check the front. Works fine. I check the rear and both of the right side lights do not flash. I thought to myself, if one of the bulbs went out would'nt the other one still work? I thought, well maybe they are wired in series (highly doubtfull), then I went and bought two new 3057 bulbs and replaced them.

Still did not work. I checked the bulb sockets and the wiring behind the bumper, everything looked "a ok". I varified that both the front right lights were working once again, yup. The dim parking lights work fine on all four corners of the car, a good sign. I press on the brakes and yup, all four main bulbs light up in the rear. I think this is odd, the bright side of the bulbs is also what the turn signal lights up. I turn the hazards on, and yup, all bulbs light up and flash properly.

When I put on the right turn signal, the guage in the cockpit flashes fast, the front right turn signal also flashes fast but the rear right does nothing. I checked all fuses relating to turn/hazards signals under the passenger side foot well and under the hood, all checked out fine. I searched the forums for similar problems and came up with nothing. This is driving me crazy...

Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-2004, 04:32 AM
BickyDhadwal
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blown fuse
Old 07-09-2004, 05:15 AM
ooh yeah
Drifting

It's the hazard switch. Its located behind the hazard button. The turn signals are hooked up to it. GM has a problem with these forever. Just had mine change out under warranty. It sucks because they have to take half your car aprt to repair it.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:31 AM
c5hobo
Pro

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '04

If it's the hazard switch it's gonna cost ya!

:mad
Old 07-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Hazard switch?! What in the heck. So the turn signal goes to this switch behind the red hazard button and there is some relay in there that fails or something? What kinda crap is that. I better not have to tear my dashboard out just to fix this, boy what a downer. Anyone have a price or part number for this thing? :mad
Old 07-09-2004, 09:52 AM
CAPN17
Safety Car

Call Bob in parts at Fitchner Chevy, he will know the part number and will not bend you over a barrel on cost. As far as getting it changed out, I am glad it is you and not me having to go after that little SOB.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

I just went out there and beat on the dash in and around the hazard switch and that did not help. I also pushed in the switch many times with force and still nothing. Does anyone actually know what goes wrong in this switch? I don't see how a mechanicle switch goes from working 100% never having a problem to 100% failure for no reason. I guess I can try and spray some contact cleaner all up in and around the switch like I read some other guy did and see if that does anything before I order this part.

I guess this has to be the problem seeing as there are no blown fuses, light bulbs where changed to no effect. Leave it to GM to go with the lowest bidder and buy a switch for $2.00 when you could get a quality switch that would actually last the life of the car for $2.30. My dad was a major purchasing agent for Ford and knows about this crap, almost all car makers do it. Ya I guess the pennies do add up when you have tens of thousands of parts but still, i'd rather pay a couple grand more for the car so I can get a damn switch that you won't have to tear the dashboard apart and other little thing's like that.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Batcar
Instructor

I just replaced my Hazard switch - It took me about an hour to replace. If you take your time and have just a FEW simple tools, you can do it. If I can do it - you can too.

Turn signal flasher #10406628
Go to this Web site of Vette Essentials -
Follow these instructions as if you are going to repalce the Bezels - BUT, YOU ARE GOING TO STOP at STEP number 3g.

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

THEN do this :

1. remove the air conditionder control panel.

2. remove the Radio and pull it out - you might have to unplug it and if you do, then you will have to RESET your security LOCKOUT code.

3. Take a SMALL screw driver and gently pry the TRIANGLE front plastic piece off. The piece that has the hazard SYMBOL printed on it !!! It will just pull straight off towards you.

What I did was then took a screw diriver and gently with a little force tapped the Hazard switch out (you punch it out AWAY FROM YOU, not TOWARDS YOU)- there is a key latch at top and bottom of switch that is a keeper that keeps the switch in. You might have to pry up one end of the switch and then tap it out. The switch is about 3 " long.
replace switch and test it out before putting your console back together.

I hope this helps

You can do a search for how to UNLOCK your radio. but if you need help with this you can email me at batcar2004@yahoo.com

Last edited by Batcar; 07-09-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:10 AM
Mel 2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
I am driving around a couple days ago and I notice that the right turn signal is flashing faster then usual. I go ok, no big deal just a burnt out bulb. So I pull over with the turn signal on, get out, check the front. Works fine. I check the rear and both of the right side lights do not flash. I thought to myself, if one of the bulbs went out would'nt the other one still work? I thought, well maybe they are wired in series (highly doubtfull), then I went and bought two new 3057 bulbs and replaced them.

Still did not work. I checked the bulb sockets and the wiring behind the bumper, everything looked "a ok". I varified that both the front right lights were working once again, yup. The dim parking lights work fine on all four corners of the car, a good sign. I press on the brakes and yup, all four main bulbs light up in the rear. I think this is odd, the bright side of the bulbs is also what the turn signal lights up. I turn the hazards on, and yup, all bulbs light up and flash properly.

When I put on the right turn signal, the guage in the cockpit flashes fast, the front right turn signal also flashes fast but the rear right does nothing. I checked all fuses relating to turn/hazards signals under the passenger side foot well and under the hood, all checked out fine. I searched the forums for similar problems and came up with nothing. This is driving me crazy...

Any thoughts?
Need further analysis. Does not appear to have hazard switch prob or both left & right would at times not work until pushing hazard switch.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:51 AM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Ya, and it's only the right rear too. So your saying all of the hazard switch problems have effected all turn signals/sides and not just one corner like mine? I do not see what else could be wrong. Does the turn signal wiring ever go through the PCM or any other control modules? I checked down by the PCM when I checked the fuses, no water down there, dry as a bone. I did see one "micro relay" named turn signal or something in the fuse box under the hood next to the battery. Everyting under there was dry and looked normal, wonder if that micro realy could have anything to do with it.

Thanks for all of your help so far.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:01 AM
ooh yeah
Drifting

I guess the switch is a little circuit board and it gets a crack in the one of the runs on the board. Mine was intermitting when I used it a lot. I heard its the same hazard switch they use in a lot of thier product line.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Well I was going to order the part tonight but I was driving around today and the turn signal just started working normal again. I am like what the heck is going on. I did not do anything abnormal that it should just start working again. I pounded on the dash around the switch and jammed the hazard button in many times and could not phase it. I simply do not get what the problem is. Does anyone have a shop manual to see where all the wiring for the turn signal system goes? If it is a crack in the circuit board of the hazard switch or something of the like I don't see why it just started working again like this, most odd.

Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:40 AM
steve1173
Racer

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega

Any thoughts?
On my 04 Z06 when it was one week old mine did the same, went away after one day & never happened again.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Wow, this problem is truely the "ghost" of the C5 and may remain a mystery I feel!
Old 07-16-2004, 06:47 AM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Well, just like that, one turn the turn signal works the next turn it doesn't, this is some odd crap. Guess I will be ordering the hazard switch after all.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:06 AM
majbillgsd
Instructor

Default Turn Signal Mystery

My 98 just started doing that also. Soemone had mentioned cycle the flashers a few times and it will stop. It does stop but not quickly and timely. What a pain!

Get notified of new replies

To Turn Signal Mystery.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Mystery.