C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! Dufus blows engine on 74?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 10:05 PM
scott brown
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! Dufus blows engine on 74?

Just recently bought first vette, a 74 corvette convt. Was told it was L82 NOM. Car drove great and was a real pleasure. Car died today. Started stalling at low speeds and as I started moving at higher speeds (about 50 on 3rd gear) the engine failed while driving. Droped it back into gear to get engine started and heard very nasty grinding engine noise. Car would not restart. Engine temp increased over 200 once stopped. White smoke came out from hose conected to air filter and there was a strong burning smell.
Mechanic said it could be timing belt and that it would have to be replaced before knowing if there was other damage to engine. I have been told that the engine might not be NOM and how can I confirm that? If necessary should the engine be replaced or rebuilt? The car is just a summer neighborhood ride and I don't expect to put more than a couple thousand miles a year on her. Your advice is appreciated.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:34 PM
billlambeer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how to check to see if its NOM, but if it isnt the timing chain, and something internal, it really depends on what can be salvaged, i mean if a piece breaks in the engine, it gets tossed around and there is no telling what it did and didnt do till you open her up. Technically speaking, a used engine can often output more performance because it is broken in, and i have heard of many people going junkyard hunting for blocks to race with instead of buying a new one just because of this! But you can buy a new whole kit, that is not assembled for around 1500 to 2000(depending on specs). So wait to see what happened to it, and then go from there, that is what i sorta say.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:40 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No timing belt, you have a chain
Old 07-08-2004, 11:04 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by scott brown
Just recently bought first vette, a 74 corvette convt. Was told it was L82 NOM. Car drove great and was a real pleasure. Car died today. Started stalling at low speeds and as I started moving at higher speeds (about 50 on 3rd gear) the engine failed while driving. Droped it back into gear to get engine started and heard very nasty grinding engine noise. Car would not restart. Engine temp increased over 200 once stopped. White smoke came out from hose conected to air filter and there was a strong burning smell.
Mechanic said it could be timing belt and that it would have to be replaced before knowing if there was other damage to engine. I have been told that the engine might not be NOM and how can I confirm that? If necessary should the engine be replaced or rebuilt? The car is just a summer neighborhood ride and I don't expect to put more than a couple thousand miles a year on her. Your advice is appreciated.
If the block is original, the number stamped into the pad just below the front of the passenger valve cover will contain part of your VIN number.

JB
Old 07-09-2004, 12:20 AM
ACECO
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Originally Posted by comp
No timing belt, you have a chain
That's what I was going to say. If your mechanic actually said Timing Belt , then I'd be looking for another mechanic.

However if he said chain, and you mistook what he said and posted belt, then nevermind.

Oh, and welcome to the insanity! Good luck w/the new toy!

Get notified of new replies

To help! Dufus blows engine on 74?

Quick Reply: help! Dufus blows engine on 74?