C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 80 is pulling hard right

Old 07-08-2004, 03:44 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Default My 80 is pulling hard right

My new toy (1980 L-82) is pulling hard right while rolling down the road(as opposed to under braking). I had the alignment checked, which they say is dead-on. Just had all 4 brake calipers replaced because two of them were a mess and I figured if 2 were a mess the others couldn't be far behind (original calipers). The folks who replaced the calipers for me said they can't see any reason why it would be pulling right and to take it somewhere else to have the alignment checked. They say the tires look good, suspension looks solid, etc.

Any idears what to start looking for?
Old 07-08-2004, 04:14 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might check to see if your power steering is centered. It's pretty easy to do, and might be your issue given what you've described.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Chumpzilla
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed..... could be your culprit.

Easy way to check.... jack up the front... carefully start the car... see if your wheels start to turn on their own. If so... PS valve is not centered. Easy fix.

Mine did exactly the same thing. Same symptom
Old 07-08-2004, 04:22 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it seam to quit trying to pull when you litely apply brake pressure,or
when pushing hard.... also try using E-brake to see if it changes
Old 07-08-2004, 05:10 PM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Had the same problem with mine last week after changing the control valve. 5 minute adjustment and everything fine.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the fact that it disappears under braking leads me to think that the right caliper is dragging. Check the rubber line for balloning, the balloon will try to relax when there's no braking pressure, forcing the piston and pads onthe rotor and creating friction, this will make the car pull to one side. Also check if the crimped ends are not rusting (collapsing the line) and check the caliper for sticking pistons. If it was steering related it'd also do it when on the brakes.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:52 PM
79ls1
Racer

Old 07-08-2004, 09:53 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Chumpzilla
Agreed..... could be your culprit.

Easy way to check.... jack up the front... carefully start the car... see if your wheels start to turn on their own. If so... PS valve is not centered. Easy fix.

Mine did exactly the same thing. Same symptom
Folks this really sounds like what's going on. The car feels like the steering wheel is turning it. I think I will find this place as invaluable as so many others seem to find it. Soon as I get her home and get a chance to get her up on jacks I'm going to check the power steering.

Twin Turbo - I never said it was any different under braking than otherwise. Braking, not braking, all seems the same. I had the brakes serviced today and they are performing very well.

After changing the valve cover gaskets and the brake calipers she's gone from a smelly, scary beast to drive to a fun girl wtih the T-Tops down on a gorgeous evening in central Ohio!

Thanks for the quick feedback folks, I'll let ya know what I find.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:27 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

I Agree... After getting my new brakes / calipers... had the left one dragging. Found that the line was twisted. Fix it and the problem went away.

Also, when I changed my power steering control valve it needed to be adjusted which was simple as all of you noted. Only question is if this could go out of aling if he didn't change it? I would look for a dragging brake caliper. When it's up...and if the steering doesn't turn to the right due to the power steering control valve...then spin the right front wheel and see if you have significant drag vs left.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This situation is an exact match for mine. I know the previous owner replaced the power steering valve shortly before I purchased the car. Recently while the car was on jackstands I started the car and the steering wheel turned all the way to the right.

How exactly do I adjust the valve to center it?
Old 07-08-2004, 10:46 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

There is a cap on the end that covers a screw. Remove the cap and turn the screw to find the neutral point (i.e. no movement right or left). At least, this was the way I did it. It worked for this newbee when I replaced my valve.

Get notified of new replies

To My 80 is pulling hard right

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 80 is pulling hard right