C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing distributor

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 03:29 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installing distributor

I am pulling my distributor on my 72 LT1 in order to do some maintenance on it. Since the archives are down, can anyone pass on information on pulling and reinstalling it. In the past, I have used the installation procedure found in "How to Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy" that discusses distributor installation in a freshly rebuilt engine and it worked quite well. On an installed engine, if I put the engine on #1 TDC, using the finger over the spark plug hole and the timing mark, how do I ensure that the distributor is installed correctly and pointing in the right direction?

Any help here?

Gary
Old 07-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remove the cap and look at the rotor. Make sure it points to the #1 plug tower and check if the balancer witness line mates up w/ the timing pointer. Mark the distributor edge where the rotor points to. Then in line mark the manifold too. Do not rotate the engine or oil pump and it should slide right back in if you just start a little anti clockwise of where the mark is (for both the rotor and distr).

Old 07-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Set #1 on TDC of the compression stroke. Pull distributor cap and check position of rotor. Mark same. Remove distributor. For reinstallation, eyeball approximate rotor position then make allowance for slight movement past cam gear and connection with oil pump drive. With distributor seated, rotor should be pointing to #1 and the mark you made. This procedure will not be perfect, but it will get you in the ball park and allow you to start the engine for proper timing.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Making it too complicated: pull the cap and take a peice of tape and stick it something other than the dist to mark where the rotor is pointing, on reinstall make sure the rotor points at the tape. Your oil pump will probably move just to spite you so you might need to rotate the oil pump shaft a little with a oil pump primer or long screw driver to make it mesh right.

BTW if you bump over the eng or mover the crank some how you will need to do the tdc thing but if the crank doesn't move then you should be fine.

Last edited by Fevre; 07-08-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Here is my recent experience.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=853788
Old 09-03-2012, 04:43 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Originally Posted by Fevre
Making it too complicated: pull the cap and take a peice of tape and stick it something other than the dist to mark where the rotor is pointing, on reinstall make sure the rotor points at the tape. Your oil pump will probably move just to spite you so you might need to rotate the oil pump shaft a little with a oil pump primer or long screw driver to make it mesh right.

BTW if you bump over the eng or mover the crank some how you will need to do the tdc thing but if the crank doesn't move then you should be fine.
Hi, I'm resuming this topic because I have to remove my distributor, make some maintenance, and put it back.
Right now the car works perfect, timing ok and everything right.... and I dont want to mess anything!
So I'm a bit worried about removing the distributor and not being able to reinstall it in the same position I have found it....
This is what I would like to do:
1) remove distributor cap
2) mark distributor housing position related to the motor and related to the distributor rotor
3) pull the distributor (as the distributor gear is an helical one, when I will pull the distributor rotor it should rotate clockwise when it disengages) and do maintenance (I have to replace tachometer gear)
4) when I reinstall the distributor, I should put the rotor a bit couterclockwise because of the gear is helical and everything should work...
Is this correct? is there any chance I'm not able to put the rotor back in the same position?

thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Take a scribe or punch and mark the base of the distributor and the intake. Put it back so the marks realign and fine set the timing from there. DON"T turn the engine while the dist. is out, renders the marks useless.
If the engine moves, go through the instructions everyone above has given to you.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Sounds right, except when you remove the distributor I think the rotor will turn anit-clockwise slightly as you lift (same reason you need to start it slightly anti-clockwise when you install) but it doesn't matter anyway (when you remove it)

When you re-install you could be out 1 tooth but you'll see that it doesn't line up with your mark, just lift it until it disengages and then move it the little bit (clockwise or anticlockwise depending on what you need) and try dropping it in again until you mark is good.

May need a long, flat screwdriver to turn the oil pump shaft a little if you can't get it to lineup and let the distributor drop all the way back in

Mooser
Old 09-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Originally Posted by Mooser
May need a long, flat screwdriver to turn the oil pump shaft a little if you can't get it to lineup and let the distributor drop all the way back in
But if I don't move anything the oil pump shaft shouldn't move, right?
Is it correct that moving the oil pump shaft doesn't affects timing?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

and if you need a visual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a2X...eature=related
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_dog
But if I don't move anything the oil pump shaft shouldn't move, right?
Is it correct that moving the oil pump shaft doesn't affects timing?
Shouldn't need to, but sometimes it's off just a hair
The pump is not related to the timing at all, just runs off the shaft
Your good to go by the sounds of it

Mooser
(I'm just on the way to the garage to do mine right now so hopefully I remember also )
Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Guys, thank you very much! I will try... hoping not to mess anything!!
I know maybe it's an easy task... but it's my first time!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Iron_dog
Hi, I'm resuming this topic because I have to remove my distributor, make some maintenance, and put it back.
Right now the car works perfect, timing ok and everything right.... and I dont want to mess anything!
So I'm a bit worried about removing the distributor and not being able to reinstall it in the same position I have found it....
This is what I would like to do:
1) remove distributor cap
2) mark distributor housing position related to the motor and related to the distributor rotor
3) pull the distributor (as the distributor gear is an helical one, when I will pull the distributor rotor it should rotate clockwise when it disengages) and do maintenance (I have to replace tachometer gear)
4) when I reinstall the distributor, I should put the rotor a bit couterclockwise because of the gear is helical and everything should work...
Is this correct? is there any chance I'm not able to put the rotor back in the same position?

thanks!
This is an 8 year old thread.

You need to start a new one.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html
Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Read the rules Iron Dog:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html