C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you have an M22 Gearbox...will you answer some questions ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you have an M22 Gearbox...will you answer some questions ?

1. 'HOW' much noisier is it over an M21 ? Can it be heard even over a loud exhaust system ?

2. What is the noise sounding like : Metal on metal, or whirring, or something else ?

3. Is there any vibration from within the cabin area from an M22 ?

4. Did you have M22 rebuild parts put into an M21 gearbox housing ?

Thanks, Dave
Old 07-08-2004, 04:12 PM
AndreG
Racer

I can't address question number 4 however I can speak to the noise. It is a whirring gear sound that is most noticable in 1st and 2nd. Third I hear it a bit and in 4th not at all. 1st of course being by far the loudest. I am used to it and it doesn't bother me although I must say that in the first time I rode in a car with the straight cut gears it sounded to me like the tranny was bad. There is no associated vibration whatsoever. In a car with quiet exhaust it may be bothersome at first until you are accustomed to it and it is particularly prevalent when decelerating as the motor is making little noise. I have broken M20's and M21's before (annihilated) but never one of my last three M22's. The last M22 I had was completely gone through (meaning I had it done myself professionally) and I was curious if it would come back quiter than the predecessors, it sounded exactly the same.

All that being said, I love it and am not afraid of seriously abusing it on occasion.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this site out, lots of good info:

www.5speeds.com
Old 07-08-2004, 04:21 PM
AndreG
Racer

I should have included that it has a very tall first gear compared to the wide ratio and after that the shifts are a few hundred RPM's apart from one another. Very close indeed.

Get notified of new replies

To If you have an M22 Gearbox...will you answer some questions ?

Quick Reply: If you have an M22 Gearbox...will you answer some questions ?