C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI guys... How do you determine how much timing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI guys... How do you determine how much timing?

I remember reading a thread some time ago talking about adding timing around light cruise giving a positive effect.

What I'm getting at is, how do you figure out how much timing to use? Do you just keep adding until the engine starts complaining then back off a tad? What about idle? I've learned how much my motor DESPISES anything less than 17 at idle and it runs well at 30.

How do I know how much timing my motor wants?
Old 07-08-2004, 02:40 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I remember my '87 and it called for 6-8 degrees and I used ten on the initial, and found the engine liked it.....

since then my '72 with EFI here has had two differant programming chips, and I not happy with the one here now....runs lousey when cold....
maybe there is another problem, but I notice the timing acts weird, but that discussion is years old now, and been accepted as 'normal' by me, due to other folks input....still think it's weird though....

GENE
Old 07-08-2004, 02:56 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Cookwithvette
How do I know how much timing my motor wants?
Don't know if there is a scientific way of finding out without advanced equipment (detonation detection). I used to have a 96 Z28 and hooked up a scantool and mapped the timing advance it had. I then set my vette to something pretty close.

I can run about 45 dgr advance at 1500 rpm, low load. It goes to 52 dgr low load by 2400 rpm. Idles at 22 dgr.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zwede
Don't know if there is a scientific way of finding out without advanced equipment (detonation detection). I used to have a 96 Z28 and hooked up a scantool and mapped the timing advance it had. I then set my vette to something pretty close.

I can run about 45 dgr advance at 1500 rpm, low load. It goes to 52 dgr low load by 2400 rpm. Idles at 22 dgr.
It is very similar to what the chart would look like for a reg vac adv unit, low loads induce vac adv while WOT throttle negates it, low rpm's has lower mech adv and higher rpms has higher mech adv. You can set up a few diff tables for diff driving cond: regular driving, track time and 'I got a ****ty tank of gas'. Your ECM will pull adv when it encounters spark knock but it is best to try and adj for if you can like when you get bad gas.

Last edited by Fevre; 07-08-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:38 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A knock sensor is the easiest way to set it. Just advance the timing until you start to get knock, then back off slightly.

Here are picture of what mine is set to at this point. Your timing will depend on your compression and cam, but maybe these will give you an idea of what the curve should look like.

http://dev.corvettepages.com/forum_i...ming%20map.jpg

http://dev.corvettepages.com/forum_i...%20map%202.jpg

Last edited by stickboy; 07-08-2004 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Picture too big
Old 07-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Okay, thanks guys. My current map looks like this:

Don't think I'll be getting really aggressive in the high load range but I'd like to maximize cruising efficiency.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

6-8 with a the ignition plug harness disconnected. Then stop the car and reconnect. Restart and you are advanced 15 to 20 depending what is in your program. This is how you set up the base timing on my TPI.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:13 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Wow this new forum system is from out'a space!

Well cook I know nothing about FI but I can tell you need a vacuum gauge to monitor your MAP at different rpm. They're really cheap and you can mount them permanent or temporary. No electrical power required, only need to find a vacuum fitting somewhere under throttle plate - or at least on nearby runner - to connect to. Also the small 2&1/4" gauges will fit in that stupid clock hole - but opening that plastic instrument cluster is a ton of work.
Yea vacuum gauges are nice for setting up carbs parts like power valves and ignition vacuum advance cans. Pretty much a no brainer to install and use and hope this helps. cardo0
Old 07-09-2004, 10:32 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Cook: A few thoughts on your ignition map:

Low rpm, high load: Take out some timing there. I guess you don't floor it much at 1000 rpm, but if you should you really don't want to give it 25 dgr. Start at about 14 at 400 rpm WOT, then go to 20 by 1200, 30 dgr @ 2000, 36 @ 2500.

Run the same advance at 800 and 1000 at idle MAP (35-45 or whatever vacuum you idle at). The way you have it now it will gain 4 dgr if the idle fluctuates up and that makes the idle less stable. You should not have any problems idling at 20 dgr or more.

You can advance your cruise advance a lot. Run 40-45 by 1500 rpm cruise. Go to 52 dgr by 2400.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

cardo0, I've thought about putting a vacuum gauge in the panel. Some time ago I replaced all the gauges and put an oil temp gauge in the clock hole. Didn't really think that one through. Never got around to mounting a sender. Vacuum gauge just might be the trick.

zwede, Hey, thanks man! It's still the base Holley map, I've been busy tinkering with the fuel map up until now.

Get notified of new replies

To EFI guys... How do you determine how much timing?

Quick Reply: EFI guys... How do you determine how much timing?