C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition class

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 12:30 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignition class

Who would like to help me learn more about ignitions?

I have a '68 427 that is using points and I would like to upgrade to something newer so I don't have to mess with the constant adjustments of the older tech. I was thinking about one of the MSD units with a rev limiter. I assume I would need to do something with my distributor...correct? What needs replaced to make this update possible? I want to keep the mech. tach, though. Is that workable? I'm sure this is old-hat to most of you, but I somehow missed everything in between points and distributorless ignition systems. I guess I was too busy learning to drive, cook, pay bills, buy baby diapers, etc...

Can't wait to get this bad-dog on the road!

Thanks, folks!
Old 07-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You won't have to regularly 'mess with' a points system unless you drive more than 20,000 miles a year.

Even then it's simple task to adjust or replace the points and condenser. Don't get sucked in by the advertising hype that will try to make you believe that you'll see a performance gain with an aftermarket system.

I'm sure the flames will start shortly
Old 07-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

In a points system there is a current that passes through the points. This eventually wears out the points by pitting them and a small amount of the points gets burned up. I run a Crane HI6 system, similar to the MSD unit but the rev limiter is digital and has rotary dials instead of chips. I use a set of heavy duty points to trigger the HI6 unit. No voltage passes through the points so they should last a long time. The points are just used as a switch to trigger the system. Mine runs perfect to 7000 rpm and I have not reset the points ever once they were set. I still use the stock dist just installed HD points.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition class

Quick Reply: Ignition class