C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt torque question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 10:36 AM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bolt torque question

I planning to reinstall this anyway, but I wanted to ask here first -

I installed my new oil pan over the weekend, and torqued the bolts to the specs I had (minus the percentage for oil, per the Pocket Ref), but the gasket distorted around all the bolt holes, especially at the front of the engine. Is this typical, or did I over-torque the bolts?
Old 07-08-2004, 02:45 PM
ATCGuy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only thing I would suggest is to make sure you torqued it to the appropriate measurement, i.e. in. lbs and not ft. lbs. Like the timing chain cover is 30 IN. LBS which equates to I think 6 FT. LBS. I've overlooked this before and had a gasket squeeze out on me. I knew it didn't look right so I read the book one more time and noticed my error.

Chad
Old 07-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think ATC may have it right, that you mistakenly torqued to ft-lbs instead of in-lbs. The gasket should not be squeezed out and distorted. It will leak. However, the conversion between the two measures is 1:12. Nevertheless, it doesn't usually help to do a conversion calculation, i.e., 30 in-lbs = 2.5 ft-lbs, and then use your torque wrench that is denominated in ft-lbs, because that wrench is not accurate at such a low setting. You really need a little 3/8 drive torque wrench that measures in in-lbs. Or get a new gasket, straighten out the pan flange, and do it over by just looking carefully to see the point at which you can tell the gasket is starting to compress and squeeze out a little. A little low-strength loc-tite (blue) on the threads will give you the peace of mind that they aren't coming out on their own, even tho they're not torqued down to beat hell. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Do yourself a favor and get a new 1 peice oil pan gasket, they have nice medal washers molded into them to prevent over tightening and gasket failure.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:19 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Thanks for the replies. This confirms that it's overtorqued, but I believe the problem is that I put some light oil on the bolts before I installed them. I reduced the torque from 10 ft lbs to 6, but that was obviously too much. I already got a new gasket (the same 4 piece Fel-Pro), and I'll reinstall the pan with the bolts dry, and keep a closer eye on the gasket while I'm torquing it down.

Get notified of new replies

To Bolt torque question

Quick Reply: Bolt torque question