C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to expect when switching from stock exhaust manifolds to headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Captbachus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to expect when switching from stock exhaust manifolds to headers

I just bought a '76 L-48 w/ a 3 speed automatic. I'm not expecting huge results but would like to find a simple and fairly inexpensive ways to coax a little more performance out of the current set-up. How tough is it to swap out the exhaust manifolds and what kind of difference will it make? The rest of the exhaust is a brand new chambered system that I would like to keep. The sound is great!

Thanks for any input
Old 07-07-2004, 11:27 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: What to expect when switching from stock exhaust manifolds to headers (Captbachus)

Since a gasoline engine is an air pump, anything you do to allow it to pump more air more freely will help out. If you add headers, add a KN type air filter. These will be basic to any future mods such as cam, roller rockers, fuel injection, etc.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:39 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: What to expect when switching from stock exhaust manifolds to headers (Captbachus)

It shouldn't be too difficult to remove the exhaust maniflods and install headers. However you will have to find a way to connect the headers to the rear section of your exhaust pipes. I assume the current chambered exhaust has a front section and a rear section that are connected at the frame crossmember.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:01 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm my '76 was also very weak when I bought it a few years ago. you are a step ahead, having the chambered exhaust ...

In my case I went 'full monte' and did the motor and exhaust at the same time. I built a 383 and put in Hedman Hedders with custom exhaust at the same time.

The power in a stock motor is there however if exhaust and intake are done first. You can then curve the distributor and adjust timeing and gears to suit your fancy.

The '76 was the last year they said 'STINGRAY' on them and it's a great year! Looking forward to seeing more from you and your car.

:flag
Old 07-08-2004, 02:05 AM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

expect heat. unless you have ceramic coated ones.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:36 AM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: What to expect when switching from stock exhaust manifolds to headers (JoieDeVivre)

With all of the above
Old 07-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed headers but at the same time I did exhaust pipes and mufflers too. I was wondering to what degree do headers alone change the exhaust sound?
Old 07-08-2004, 02:07 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check with the manufacturer or distributor of the chambered pipes. I think there is a special adaptor to connect them to headers. I believe the Mid America catalog asks you so specify whether or not you have headers when ordering their chambered exhausts. If you can't buy it separately you may have to have something fabricated.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

You'll pick up some nice power gains but added head and decreased ground clearance are the drawbacks. Tootally worth it in my opinion.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:42 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what iv'e read probably 15/30 HP all depends on the headers h/x pipe
2" or 2 1/4" or 2 1/2 " etc. But you will feel the difference

Get notified of new replies

To What to expect when switching from stock exhaust manifolds to headers

Quick Reply: What to expect when switching from stock exhaust manifolds to headers