C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you bake paint in the oven?

Old 07-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default How do you bake paint in the oven?

I've been doing a lot of painting of small metal parts lately. Mostly I use Restoleum satin black with a Restoleum primer. I have read about others baking their parts in an oven. I have a little toaster oven that I can use...wife will kill me if I use the main oven. What exactly is the benefit of cooking the paint? Do I just let the paint dry to the touch and then cook? If so, what temp and for how long?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How do you bake paint in the oven? (Frankenvette)

I tried that, but I wasn't smart enough to take the toaster oven out of the kitchen!!

I can't remember the temp I used, but it did cure the paint really nicely!

Paint takes a long time to dry thoroughly. If it isn't completely dry it will scratch off very easily. After baking it for an hour the paint was pretty hard. It looked like it was done by someone who knew what they were doing!

I recommend trying it, but take the toaster oven outside

~Jay
Old 07-07-2004, 09:41 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: How do you bake paint in the oven? (Jay M)

I am getting ready to paint a bunch of my small interior parts, I hope someone can chime in regarding the ideal baking temperature.

Old 07-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I did this

ok this is how I did this and it works just fine.
I used the over in my kitchen (and yes the wife yells everytime) and I selected 150 degrees because thats the lowest temp setting on the oven. I bake'em for 15 to 20 minutes, let'em cool down in the oven and then pull'em out and hang the parts on a rod for about 12 hours.

This has always worked for me

Make sure you have a way to get'em out of the oven without messing up the paint
Old 07-08-2004, 03:44 PM
mrcorvette79
Advanced

For most aftermarket paints that you buy at autoparts stores like Krylon etc. you can force dry in a small oven at 110 degrees for no longer than 10 minutes. Spray can paint doesn't contain enough resin in the chemistry to supply a hard finish like your looking for. You need to step up to an automotive paint like Duplicolor exterior type and bake at 115 degrees for 20 minutes. To get the professional finish most enamels like DuPont and PPG including Basecoat / Clear applications work best at 120 degrees for 30 minutes. However, when using these type paints use only an indirect heat source oven with ventilation, outside and away from the house. These types of paint uses Naptha, Xylene and Toluenes that are extremely explossive. Good luck and be careful

Get notified of new replies

To How do you bake paint in the oven?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you bake paint in the oven?