C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 03:03 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny leak

I just came back from the garage to make sure the 3 inch wheel adapters will give me the clearance i need to mount my rims, and i decided to look under the vette because last time we parked it it was dripping a bit of tranny fluid, well to my surprise and shock there was just a giant pudle of tranny fluid, it looked as if all of it drained out, im planning on installing a tranny shift kit soon that includes some gaskets which will hopefully solve the problem, but what else could cause this? Its a 79 l-48 th-350 with stock stall converter and tranny except for a chrome tranny pan (not installed by us)
Old 07-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Tranny leak (killervette666)

Not sure if this helps but a friend had a similar problem. An aftermarket pan was installed and he could not stop the leaks. Went back to the stock pan and it solved the problem. Probably a cheap foriegn knock off pan that was not flat. Check the pan when you have it off.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:04 PM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Tranny leak (Gordonm)

Mine leaks at the seal where the linkage enters the transmission.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Spook
Racer

Default Re: Tranny leak (Gordonm)

Could be as simple as;
Busted o-ring on the tranny dipstick er vacuum modulator
Loose cooler line fittings

Good luck with it but I would try to get under and figure it out soon or be sure to try and catch it if you can before it hits the floor.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:36 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tranny leak (killervette666)

Had a similiar problem last year with my 79's TH350. I had the local Chevy dealer change my fluid. When I got it back, I found a puddle of fluid under the car the next day. Turns out Mr. Goodwrench didn't torque the pan's bolts correctly. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:47 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Tranny leak (marshrat99)

Don't use those cheap thin metal (chrome plated or not) tranmission pans. They are like the cheap thin metal oil pans and valve covers. Once they are warped by over torquing the bolts, they are ruined.

Get a nice thick cast aluminum pan, lightly glue the gasket to the pan, and tighten the pan bolts to the correct specs.

Other places it can leak is the front pump, the speedo gear, the lines, the rear seal or any place there is a plug for an external pressure gage fitting.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:35 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Default Re: Tranny leak (BSeery)

I will check out the tranny pan tommorow, me and my brother have also suspected this to be the culprit, i will also try to inspect as much as possible while i have the pan off and see what else could cause it, hopefully we'll be able to fix and take the shift kit and our new rear spring for a test drive

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny leak

Quick Reply: Tranny leak