C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions about pulling B/B eng.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 07:13 AM
Rob vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few questions about pulling B/B eng.

Hello Im going to pull the eng. out for detailing and would like to know if the auto trans needs to moved back at all once the torque converter is un-bolted and slide back as far back into the trans to clear the fly wheel? Also Im pulling the eng. from the side also does the trans need to be supported under the trans oil pan once the eng. is separated?Any other tips that might be helpful will be appeciated . thank-you
Old 07-07-2004, 07:32 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: A few questions about pulling B/B eng. (Rob vette)

You absolutely must support the transmission. It is best to use an adjustable trans jack... You'll appreciate it puttng it back together.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:43 AM
Rob vette
Instructor

Default Re: A few questions about pulling B/B eng. (Larry B.)

Thanks Larry B for the info. my concern is if trans is still bolted at the rear mount will the eng. move forward enough to clear the eng. dowell pins to the trans?or will the eng. need to lifted slightly to clear the eng. mounts?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:37 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a heck of a time getting my trans far enough back and my motor far enough forward to get the trans input shaft to slip out...and I have a 4 speed!
I understand the automatics have even less space available. Of course if you take the converter loose from the flex plate that might not be a problem for you.

I'd plan on taking the trans loose from the mounts as a minimum. It wouldn't be that big a deal just to drop it the rest of the way out. Your auto equipped car has a removable cross member so that shouldn't be a huge deal.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:02 PM
R 73 454
Racer

I've yanked my 454 a couple of times. Once the front engine mounts clear the engine frame mounts, you'll have the room to seperate the engine/trans. But you must keep the transmission supported, as it obviously will rise as engine is lifted A lot of switching positions under car/ on top. A helper is a BIG asset.

Get notified of new replies

To A few questions about pulling B/B eng.

Quick Reply: A few questions about pulling B/B eng.