C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In garage or out to the shop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 07:00 PM
68BLUEVETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In garage or out to the shop?

The soft top on my vert was not in good shape when I bought her. I won't even go up. The frame is in good shape, but the top is old, cracked, and doesn't have enough flex in it to go up. Last night got stuck in a local thunderstorm while driving home. Made me think its time to replace it. Is this something can easily be done in my garage? What does it entail? Or should I shop this out to make sure all the stripping, and the top lines up correctly?
Old 07-07-2004, 04:10 AM
Spook
Racer

Default Re: In garage or out to the shop? (68BLUEVETTE)

I don't have a vert but I would try getting some quotes atleast from local shops to see what its worth and if its worth it to you or not. Personally I would think you'd want pro's laying that down since its something that can very easily get FUBAR'd. But I'm also one of those guys that loves to do things myself although sometimes I end up doing things twice to get it right. So I know what you mean.

Good luck hopefully someone else who's had it done could throw you some numbers and the difficulties or ease of doing it yourself.
ttt
Old 07-07-2004, 06:19 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: In garage or out to the shop? (Spook)

I had mine done by a pro. I do everything but paint on my car. Been through a full body off so I'm not afraid to do anything. I had it done while it was being painted and it only cost me 200 + cost of the top. If I had to do it again I would do it myself. There is a video on how to do this and it takes you step by step on how to do it. Some people here have done it and the top looks great. It depends on your skill and time to do it.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: In garage or out to the shop? (Gordonm)

This is one more job I want to do to mine. I was gonna wait until fall but I may just go ahead and do it now. Hopefully someone will chime in and tell us how to do this.

Anyone got the video they want to share?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:56 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: In garage or out to the shop? (Eddie 70)

I'm doing one near the end of the month on my '68. I'll take lots of pics for ya!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:23 PM
68BLUEVETTE
Instructor

Default Re: In garage or out to the shop? (CGGorman)

Definately post the pics.

I got a quote for ~600 (top + installation), but I'm a glutton for punishment, I like to do things myself. I just don't want to ruin a good top or the frame in the proccess.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:35 PM
zzyzx
Drifting

Default Re: In garage or out to the shop? (68BLUEVETTE)

If you decide to tackle it yourself, there are some videos out that take you through it, but they are expensive. Try posting for one here...Maybe somone will bootleg you a copy.

Get notified of new replies

To In garage or out to the shop?

Quick Reply: In garage or out to the shop?