C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacing (again), I may be boned

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 07:00 PM
wugak
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Wheel spacing (again), I may be boned

Just picked up some Vector (copies I think) wheels from ebay. Listed as 15 x 8 and I had the lister try to measure the backspacing for me and came up with a bit over 4". The lister was some guy's mom trying to help him out. Nice lady.

Well they arrived today and are stamped 15 x 8.5" inside the rim. Strike one. The backspacing measures 3.5", strike two. I think she measured it from the wrong side. I mounted one to the rear with no tire and it seems to stick out beyond the fender by about 1 full inch, where the stock alloys seem to line up just inside. The tires (265's) front and back seem to line up exactly and not stick out at all.

So am I boned or what? It seems like these are the same as 10" wide rims given the offsets etc. (See my last post about 10" rims)

Any trick out there? The brakes seem to clear fine but there are no magic spacers I know of that will push a rim IN!

Its too bad because the wheels are SWEET. :mad (BTW 77 L82)
Old 07-06-2004, 07:15 PM
wugak
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Wheel spacing (again), I may be boned (wugak)

I think I AM dead. I MIGHT be able to get it to work in the rear since the rear sits up kind of high and when the wheel compresses it arcs slightly in right?

In the front I am in trouble. Right now I get a bit of rub at full lock on the fornt edge of the tire hitting the fender. An extra inch would kill my turning I think.....

Quick Reply: Wheel spacing (again), I may be boned