C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump/pressure questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 03:42 PM
wugak
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Fuel pump/pressure questions

We had a nice discussion about fuel pumps and pressure regulators but I have some questions that did not get answered. Maybe you guys can help.

What pressure is normal from a stock or OEM replacement fuel pump?

Dumb question time.... to check the pressure do I need to "T" a fitting into the line and run the car or do I disconnect the carb and connect the line right to the gauge and just crank the starter?

Edelbrock says 6 psi max, so what is a good pressure for a daily driver 77 L82 with minor mods such as mild cam and true duals? Looking for smoother power with no sputtering, not tons of HP. (Using Edel performer 600 carb and intake)

Thanks as always, Tony
Old 07-06-2004, 05:25 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Fuel pump/pressure questions (wugak)

A stock GM Corvette pump puts out 6 psi during normal operation. If your idle is set low it will drop to 5 psi. During ANY operation I have never seen my digital gage go above 7 psi.

To check the pump output you will need a T fitting. The engine must be running to check the pump output.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:26 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Fuel pump/pressure questions (1979toy)

The pump on my 72 (when I got the car) looked like and was hosed like a stock pump. That pump delivered 9 psi.

Yes, you should check the pressure with a "T" fitting and engine running. You want to know what it's doing in normal flow

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pump/pressure questions

Quick Reply: Fuel pump/pressure questions