C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Spindle

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:35 AM
captras
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Rear Wheel Spindle

A couple of weeks ago I wrote regarding a noise coming from my rear wheels on my 75. Replies helped me know what to look for. Now I have a problem. The right rear has no play in it, but that is where the noise is coming from. I took off the rotor and started the engine and put it in drive. The right rear spindle does not turn true. There appears to have about 1/16 inch wobble in the hub as you watch it turn. The left side has slight play, but turns true with no noise. I have found a new rear spindle on ebay for $130 and a rear wheel spindle tool kit with puller and everything else I should need for about $200. I am fairly mechanically inclined but dont know how big a job it would be to replace the spindle myself. Any hints, suggestions, or tips as to whether it needs to be replaced, and if so, should I do this myself, or take it to a shop.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 10:19 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Rear Wheel Spindle (captras)

Hi, By all means, if you feel that confident in your abilities and have friends that are knowledgeable to fall back on and the necessary tools, dial indicators etc. go for it, But first maybe you oughta add up the parts/tool prices and then get an estimate from a "REPUTEABLE" shop thats done it (successfully) before and go from there, there are places (some on the forum even) that will rebuild what you send 'em. Good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,Peace, Craig

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Spindle