C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Update on the Auto to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 11:57 PM
James B
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Another Update on the Auto to manual swap

Well the manual transmission is in, as of 3 am saturday morning. THe only problem I had with that is the bell housing to transmission bolts didnt line up. I dont know why. I guess it doesnt realy matter because the transmission is straight and the steel bolts just cut new threads into the alumninum bell housing but if i ever have to take the transmission out then i will have to buy a new bell housing. no big deal i reckon.

So anyway, Sunday, I put the crossmember back in and connected the parking break no problum. So all the under car stuff is complete now besides hooking up the clutch linkage

Tonight my freind came over and welded on the Zbar bracket for me and so tomorow im going to hook all the linkage up.

The things i have left are the linkage and then putting the interior back together. Once i do that i should be done. Im refinishing some of the interior peices. Tonight I used a fiberglass repair kit from walmart and fixed the cracked console so it wont look like someone sat on it. I have to find some interior spray i guess to repaint them ebcause rit die doesnt stick to vinal.

Thanks for the read and ill keep you guys updated!

James B
4 speed 73 corvette
Old 07-06-2004, 01:24 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Another Update on the Auto to manual swap (James B)

THe only problem I had with that is the bell housing to transmission bolts didnt line up. I dont know why. I guess it doesnt realy matter because the transmission is straight and the steel bolts just cut new threads into the alumninum bell housing but if i ever have to take the transmission out then i will have to buy a new bell housing. no big deal i reckon.
Well. Good luck. Let us know how she turns out.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:46 AM
mfgaffney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The misalignment on your trannie bolts may indicate misalignment between trans ans flywheel, and put undue pressure/wear on your pilot bearing. Did you check flywheel to bellhousing parallel/flatness? Just a thought.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Gage
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

James, How did you know where to weld the Z-bar bracket? I know roughly where it goes, but any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:54 PM
matchframe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gage
James, How did you know where to weld the Z-bar bracket? I know roughly where it goes, but any help would be appreciated.
I would like to know too!!

www.bigdogvettes.com
Old 07-09-2004, 07:59 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Something is not right, How can the transmission bolts not line up with the transmission and then you just cut new threads???? Are you saying the transmission bolts were not going in straight so you just cross threaded the bolts and had them cut their own new threads???? I like to put studs in the bellhousing then slide the transmission over then and use nuts.

As for where to weld the rear mount just push the transmission as high as possible , well untill you are almost touching the tunnel and then with the transmission mount in place manually hold the rear mount in location and either tac it with the welder or carefully scrib it and take the crossmember back out and weld it in place.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:07 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I have two manual transmission 68s, so I knew where to look at when I welded mine

Get notified of new replies

To Another Update on the Auto to manual swap

Quick Reply: Another Update on the Auto to manual swap