C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 conv,restoration question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 10:15 PM
68c3dan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 conv,restoration question

hi i am restoring a 68 conv,i found rust on windshield posts i fixed the rust only problem is vin tag is rusted anybody know anyone reproducing them any help would be appreciated thanks, dan
Old 07-06-2004, 12:47 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 68 conv,restoration question (68c3dan)

It's illegal to remove the vin tag...if you get a copy of Hemmings, there are services that reproduce the vin tag....I hear the tags are close but not exact immage. I would contact your DMV and get a clarification on removal of the tag.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:13 AM
helix60
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 68 conv,restoration question (68c3dan)

There are a couple of places to have a new tag made up. As to whether or not it is illegal would depend on where you are located. The Frame of the car is what is actualy titled from the manufacturer. In '68 the gov't made the manufacturers put the VIN somewhere so it could be seen easily (like under the windshield) to assist law enforcment in identifying cars that could have been stolen.

Try here http://www.datatags.com/ he will let you know if it is legal in your state. His reproductions are top of the line. But beware you will need to provide documentation and photos of any numbers still on the car.

Regards,
Heli

Get notified of new replies

To 68 conv,restoration question

Quick Reply: 68 conv,restoration question