C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 SBC needs starter heat shield

Old 07-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 69 SBC needs starter heat shield

Now that I have my car on the road, I have had several recent experiences where the starter did not want to kick over. Each has occured after a bit of driving, then a quick shut down, like a stop at the gas station. Upon attempting to start, she cranks hard, than seems to run out of energy, then finally catches. Since the starter was rebuilt last summer, and it never does this on first start, I don't think it is the problem. Also, after sitting for a while, it always starts right up. I suspect that I need a heat shield. Can anyone suggest a shield for the full size starter? Thanks

Mark
Old 07-06-2004, 05:41 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 69 SBC needs starter heat shield (Burgundy 69)

I had to fit a heat shield to my '81 after cooking the starter motor with a new set of Headers (starter was well overdone!). The only heatshield I could get quickly was a cheapo one from a local place. I'm fairly sure that it was a Mr Gasket one? Fitting it needed some careful bending, but that was due to the Headers being close to the motor. The only thing to be careful with is the posibility of the +ve terminal on the solenoid/starter touching the heatshield if it's fitted too close. In short, it's a fiddly job with a full size starter & Headers fitted, but it's prevented any sort of starter problems. It's been on for over a year & not once have I had a starter heat problem (& we've had record breaking temps in that time).
I'd recommend a heat shield for anybody running Headers with an Auto. If you cook the starter with a manual g/box (stick shift?) then at least you can push start it, with an Auto box you're really stuffed
Old 07-06-2004, 08:31 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 69 SBC needs starter heat shield (Burgundy 69)

I had this problem for over a year with my 77. Nothing I did seemed to work. A new starter with a heat shield didn't solve it either, untill an NCRS guy told me about the foreign made solinoids being put on GM starters. Once the solinoid gets hot, it doesn't have enough strength to engage the starter cause the spring is too stiff. I cut 1.5 coils off the solinoid spring and TAA-DAAA!!!....
No more problems. It would also help to get a battery with highter cranking amps to assist that starter. Summit racing sells a "Heat Blanket" that wraps the starter with a heat barrier. It's easier to install than the metal kind, but both function well. As UK Paul mentioned above ( HI PAUL ) you must be carefull to install them properly.
Good Luck
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To 69 SBC needs starter heat shield

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69 SBC needs starter heat shield