C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing edelbrock 600 cfm

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 08:17 AM
ugman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing edelbrock 600 cfm

I'm getting ready to install an edelbrock 600 cfm this week on my 78 L82 with Performer EPS manifold. Is there anything I should be aware of before I get started. I just figured out that I need a block off for the hot air choke port. I don't think I need a throttle adaptor or spacer. Any feedback would be appreciated before I get deep into it and find out I'm missing something (parts), etc.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:40 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: installing edelbrock 600 cfm (ugman)

If you are replacing a Q-Jet. the throtle cable bracket can be made to work. You might have to cut some of the protective cover of the stock throtle cable because the Edelbrock has more linkage movement.

Take the top air horn plate off the Edelbrock and check the float adjustment. Many folks say it's out as delivered. It's easy to do and correct and you'll probably never have to do it again.

The Edelbrock does not like more than 6 lbs fuel pressure. If more the needles may be overcome and run super rich. Many stock pumps run as high as 9 lbs. Best plan a fuel pressure regulator and gauge.

A Lokkar cable bracket and cable is also a good clean adaption.

Because the fuel inlet is high up on the carb, you might need an air cleaner base change, and/or, get the banjo fitting.

[Modified by AlwaysWave, 7:46 AM 7/5/2004]
Old 07-05-2004, 08:58 AM
ugman
Advanced

Default Re: installing edelbrock 600 cfm (AlwaysWave)

I ordered the Performer Series Street Fuel Pump which runs at 6 psi. I also bought a Pro-Flo Triangular Air cleaner. Do you think this will work?
Old 07-05-2004, 09:09 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

I ordered the Performer Series Street Fuel Pump which runs at 6 psi. I also bought a Pro-Flo Triangular Air cleaner. Do you think this will work?
I also have the Performer fuel pump which (mine) delivers 7 lbs.

The Pro Flow air cleaner will clear easily, but many people complain that the filer breaks down and bits get sucked into the engine.

Sorry about the negative sounding swap info. It really isn't so bad, just part of what happens when swapping parts. Once set up, you'll like the results.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:15 AM
ugman
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think I should still put a regulator and pressure gauge in-line to assure I don't get more than 6 psi? On the air filter issue, my Pro-Flo comes with a K&N filter. Is this the type filter that is giving people problems? Do you think the Lakkar cable bracket and cable is the best to go with. I read a couple of threads that says it can twist.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:27 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

This is the Pro-Flow folks don't like because of the foam element. If they're now using a K & N paper it should be ok.

If you have a vacuum gauge, you can probably use it to check the fuel pressure. Most sold have that dual capability.

I have zero complaints with my Lokkar cable.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:35 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

regulator and gauge. The fitting at the right is the return line.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:01 PM
59intheworks
Instructor

I Just finished putting my new Elebrock 600 cfm on and running around the block. WOW what a better feel. I had to use the edelbrock adapter to get my original air cleaner to fit but other then that it was EASY. Now I have to say I was replacing a Carter AFB which is pretty much the same carb so the linkages fit great. Should I get a pressure valve for my fuel line? I'm not sure what fuel pump is in it, but wouldn't the newer Carter AFB's have the same 6 psi requirements as the elebrock? Good luck with the install and have fun, Ray.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Location: Ville de la Baie Quebec. A winner is just a loser who tried again.
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: installing edelbrock 600 cfm (59intheworks)

I also enjoy my edelbrock, but I must admit that I have limited experience with all carbs, lololll, the question I keep asking myself is why everyone keeps calling there edelbrock carb a carter,, when mine is allso stamped Weber on the side ????? , silly question but if someone can enlighten me I would be greatful...........
Old 07-05-2004, 07:34 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: installing edelbrock 600 cfm (Michel B)

I don't know the details of the history, but Edelbrock apparently now owns title to the old Carter, Weber design. I've also heard that Edelbrock contracts an Italian company to actually do the manufacturing of the carbs. It's mostly heresay I guess. According to Dave Emanual (SP?) noted Vette guru, todays Edelbrock carbs are the same as the old Carters.

Personnaly, I like the Edelbrocks much more than Holleys or other brands. They're easy to tune in and maintain. Holleys may help crank out more top end HP, but I don't spend much time over 6000 rpm. My Vette's a cruiser, not a racer.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:41 PM
wugak
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: installing edelbrock 600 cfm (59intheworks)

I just finished installing my Edel 600 setup and I am not blown away by the performance. My car still stumbles and hesitates so I guess I have more fine tuning to do.

What kind of pressure is a stock fuel pump? I have a receipt in my pile from the previous owner for a $23 Autozone fuel pump. Do I need to be concerned about the fuel pressure? This car eats fuel like crazy and is very easy to flood. Could it be fuel pressure? For the amount of fuel this thing takes it should be 500 HP, not mediocre at best.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:28 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: installing edelbrock 600 cfm (wugak)

This car eats fuel like crazy and is very easy to flood. Could it be fuel pressure? For the amount of fuel this thing takes it should be 500 HP, not mediocre at best.
Either float adjustment and/or fuel pressure overcoming the needles.

Get notified of new replies

To installing edelbrock 600 cfm

Quick Reply: installing edelbrock 600 cfm