C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There I was..................

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 11:10 PM
SKYCOP1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There I was..................

Getting ready to drain the coolant, I plan on changing the intake and carb this week, and just maybe the cam, well I was looking at the undercarriage and what did I see, right front caliper leaking . They are 2 months old... I was just taking up for vettepartsonline the other day to a forum member...
You might say that don't sound too bad and it really isn't to hard to change, but will they replace it????? we will see

Thats not all I found...The drivers side lower control arm bolt is backed out about 1/2 inch. Would anyone reccomend tightening it up or does it sound like a front end rebuild.

Would someone remind me why I love this 79 L82...............
Old 07-04-2004, 11:43 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: There I was.................. (SKYCOP1)

you love it 'cause it's your ride. Tighten the bolt, send the calipers back, if not, hone it and replace the seals...not a difficult job at all.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:47 PM
SKYCOP1
Advanced

Default Re: There I was.................. (GDaina)

I think they are leaking where the two halves meet together... How much is a seal set?? And I am headed back out there to try to tighten up the bolt.

:flag :flag Great to be independent
Old 07-05-2004, 12:29 AM
SKYCOP1
Advanced

Tried to tighten up the bolt and got the gap to about 1/4 to 1/8 gap but I am scard that I am going to strip off the bolt head, I had to use a cheeta bar to get what I have done so far. Should this be that tight???
Old 07-05-2004, 06:01 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

if it's truly just leaking from the two halves mating, it should be a simple, and common o-ring. although alot of other people on this forum rebuild calipers with no problems, i recommend against it. hell, you have a warranty for a reason, right?
as for the lower a-arm bolt, i presume your talking about the hinge bolt on one of the ends? if so, you might try removing it first to make sure it's not damaged and that is what's causing it to turn so hard. if the bushings are in decent shape, it should not mean a rebuild but i'm betting that either the bolt or the end of the pivot is damaged. you could also have crap built up in the bolt hole. if you didn't rebuild it yourself, you don't know if someone else did and just got sloppy.
hope that's all it is
Old 07-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I got new calipers from AUTOZONE for the front and the halves were not tightened properly out of the box. I just happen to check them when I mounted them. The torques spec was 100 ft lbs(?guess?) and they were just snug tight. How scary is that. I went ahead and torqued them to spec and so far no leaks. Plus they are stainless sleaved.

When my rears started to leak, I ordered vette brakes O-ring kit for the calipers and all is well now.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:52 PM
SLine78
Racer

I wouldn't be to worried about over-tightening them, according to the haynes repair manual, the torque spec on the front caliper mating bolts is 130 ft lbs.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To There I was..................

Quick Reply: There I was..................