C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never Ending Tranmission Learning - Puked out my dipstick this afternoon.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Spook
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never Ending Tranmission Learning - Puked out my dipstick this afternoon.

Hey all...

Seems anytime I get to post these days its with another issue with my transmission. Well anyways I have just changed my torque converter on my TH400 and have taken much care to do it all appropriately draining all the fluid from the transmission during the change and replacing it as instructed by TC mfg.

Anyways I wanted to take it out for a little spin to get some gas figuring on the gas station being closed later tonight when I may really wanna ride. On my way to the gas station I smelled burning tranmission fluid and it seemed like quite a bit but since this was really the second voyage I figured it was just still some left on the header/collectors area and it was cool. I checked as always while at the gas station and saw to my surprise a large fluid trail leading up the bell housing. I popped the hood and to my surprise a good dabble of tranny fluid had puked out the dipstick.

What could cause this? After wiping it pretty darn clean it did not do it on the ride home?

Could it be I just didnt have the stick completely down and it found its way up?

I've honestly never seen this but then again I'm not one to say I've seen everything either.

Thanks
:mad

Edit: Oh yeah and when I checked the fluid level in my driveway it seems to want some more although it wasnt at operating temps yet.

[Modified by Spook, 3:14 PM 7/4/2004]
Old 07-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Spook
Racer

Default Re: Never Ending Tranmission Learning - Puked out my dipstick this afternoon. (Spook)

anything?

ttt
Old 07-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: Never Ending Tranmission Learning - Puked out my dipstick this afternoon. (Spook)

the only time I've wintnessed this was bacause the tranny fluid overheated.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:51 PM
jd1a
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Never Ending Tranmission Learning - Puked out my dipstick this afternoon. (Mike Mercury)

As Mike Mercury said, the transmission is overheating. Run a trans. cooler like a radiator, not the fin tube type. Put a deep sump trans pan on and run 1 pint low. You shouldn't have a problem. I had to do it with my GMC truck.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

You could have a plugged vent tube which is located very close to the top of the transmission housing.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:36 AM
Spook
Racer

Default Re: Never Ending Tranmission Learning - Puked out my dipstick this afternoon. (Big Fish)

You could have a plugged vent tube which is located very close to the top of the transmission housing.
True everything I read says its all bout ventilation. I'm doubting the overheating people simply because I didnt have it running all of that long I idled in the driveway and went about 1.5 miles to the gas station. Although anythings possible with the lack of comfort zone between my headers/collectors and the tranny.

I'll chech to make sure that tube isnt clogged up with junk or funk. Doubting it is but worth a look. I'm still almost in the mind that I didn't have the stick fully set and for some reason just got a lil puke up. I mean it was the night before that I filled it and all.

Thanks for all the thoughts
Old 07-07-2004, 05:37 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Sometimes after installation a trans can foam up real good if there was a decent amount of air in the converter. just like a foaming beer, it has to go somewhere, and out the vent and dipstick tube it'll flow. Keep a close eye on your level, and see if it does it again.

Good luck,

Loren

Get notified of new replies

To Never Ending Tranmission Learning - Puked out my dipstick this afternoon.

Quick Reply: Never Ending Tranmission Learning - Puked out my dipstick this afternoon.