C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advise restoring a 1971 454 t-top

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 05:48 PM
scs2rescue
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise restoring a 1971 454 t-top

Hello, I’m a new member to your site (by the way, good job to whoever put it together).

I’m in the process of restoring a 1971 Vette, T-top with a 454 TH400. There’s many areas I need help in:

1. I plan on building the existing engine as follows: 496 cubic inch stroker crank, using exisiting #820 open chamber heads, high lift cam, 850 Demon carb, possibly headers. Horsepower goals are in the 500 to 600 range. I recently had the rear end freshed up with new bearings/seals. The TH400 will be rebuilt to handle bigger HP. My questions are as follows:

- Will the stock rear end & suspension handle this kind of horse power?

- I’m playing with the idea of re-gearing the rear end from 3:08’s to 4:11’s then replacing the TH-400 with one of the newer GM overdrive transmissions (I believe called 700R). Has any had any experience in using this 700R trans. in a C3 & will it withstand the 500 to 600 horsepower?

- The #820 open chamber heads are the large oval port type. I understand these can be ported and larger valves installed. Has anyone done this? Do the current head configuration flow well enough?

- I understand the aluminum radiators work best. Does anyone have a good source for these?

- Headers make horsepower & I’ll need a set to make this engine breath. Has anyone put headers on a 71 C3 454? It’s already a very tight fit with the stock cast iron manifolds. Headers look like a nightmare to install?

- I found a couple of sources for new 2 ½” exhaust kits on the internet. Can the car handle 3” exhaust from header to mufflers (keep in mind the exhaust runs through a cross member)? Do you have any sources?

2. I need a source for all of the emblems, weather striping, bumpers, interior seat covers, center console, door & kick panels, etc, etc, etc. There’s probably hundreds of companies on the internet selling these items. I would like the best price but don’t want to sacrifice quality. Who has the best quality at a fair price?

3. All of the vacuum junk under the hood will need some attention (wiper doors, H/Light doors, etc). Does anyone know of a good book on diagnosing these devices?

4. Does anyone know of a good instructional book on fiberglass repair.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:10 AM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Need advise restoring a 1971 454 t-top (scs2rescue)

Can't help with any answers but welcome!
Old 07-04-2004, 11:20 AM
scs2rescue
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need advise restoring a 1971 454 t-top (RHD '68 L89)

Thanks, I'm really enjoying (and benefiting) from all of your discussions. Hopefully I'll be able contribute my expertise, as well.
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Need advise restoring a 1971 454 t-top

Quick Reply: Need advise restoring a 1971 454 t-top