C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear diff leak question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 09:46 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Rear diff leak question

To all,

I have a small leak that seems to be coming from the front of the diff. When I got the a car last year there was no gear oil in the diff at all. So I'm guessing that it could be the front pinion seal. Is it hard to replace this seal? Could it be something else? Thanks, Tony 79 vette
Old 07-03-2004, 09:55 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Re: Rear diff leak question (tabbruzz)

i have the same problem because i was a dumbazz and overfilled it.

it weeps but the level doesn't go down significantly.

too much trouble to mess with. A little oil slung around under there keeps things from rusting.

But if you had no oil in yours you better keep an eye on it. You might have to bite the bullit and have the seal replaced. It ain't gonna be cheap or easy to do yourself.

[Modified by turtlevette, 9:58 AM 7/3/2004]
Old 07-03-2004, 12:02 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: Rear diff leak question (tabbruzz)

Tab,
HTe seal con be replaced on the car but it can be a PITA. I've done them on jack stands but a lift would really be better. There are a couple of things to do. If you're a hands on guy then you should be able to do this job. You'll have to rig up a tool if you don't have an impact gun though.
First be sure it's the pinion seal-most likely it is,but they also leak from the side yoke seals,rear cover and fill plug. You have to mark the position of the pinon nut to the pinion shaft end so that it goes back tot he same position-this is th epreload on your pinoin bearings, If you change the relationship you may develope aproblem with the bearing in a short time.
You then have to drop the front bracket out of the way,remover the driveshaft, and rig up a way to hold the yoke while you loosen it. This is where the impact gun helps. Once you get the yoke,waasher and nut off pry out the seal. Be sure you don't drop out the bearing. You can remove it and clean it up to check the rollers for pitting. once you're ready to install the new seal use a little #2 permatex on the pinion splines and OD of the seal. I use some grease on the rubber portion to protect it. Drive it in to 1/8" gap. assemble the yoke,washer and nut. tighten the nut to the spot you larked then rotate it by hand-there should be NO TIGHTNESS, it should spin as it did before. If you have a binding check to be sure the yoke isn;thjitting hte new seal- I found this on the last one I rebuilt. good luck
Gary

Old 07-03-2004, 02:35 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Re: Rear diff leak question (gtr1999)

Thanks Gary. I do have access to a lift and air tools so that will help. The leak is definately coming from the front of the diff. I will use your tips when I get started....Thanks Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Rear diff leak question

Quick Reply: Rear diff leak question